Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wow...I knew windows would be expensive, but not THAT expensive

wow...I knew windows would be expensive, but not THAT expensive

For a video editing project i have in school, I am making a linux commercial. I played with some numbers this morning to see just how much a small buisiness can save...and here are the results. note: the results are very rough, but should be achieveable. I included a book for each one in there, just for the effect.

Code:
    ~~~~~~~Linux based network~~~~~~~~

Sam's Teach Yourself Redhat Linux 9.0 in 24 hours w/ redhat cds:
    $30.00

Server Hardware cost:
    $1,000.00, more or less with different options

Server licensing cost:
    $0.00 

Workstation hardware cost:
    $500  w/ redhat 9.0, openoffice.org, etc.  * 10

Workstation software licensing cost:
    $0.00 

1000 feet of cable, crimp, 50 clips, and tester kit:
    $100.00

16 port switch:
    $91.00
    (assuming your building is already wired for network)

Total costs:
    $6221.00

~~~~~~Windows based network~~~~~~~

Sam's Teach Yourself Windows Server 2003 in 24 hours:
    $30.00

Server hardware cost:
    $1,000.00, more or less with different options

server licensing cost:
    Server w/ 5 client access licenses:
    $650.00
    additional 5 CALs:
    $138.00

Workstation hardware costs:
    $500.00 * 10

Workstation licensing costs:
    Windows XP Pro:
    $141.00 * 10
    Office XP Pro:
    $297.00 * 10

1000 feet of cable, crimp, 50 clips, and tester kit:
    $100.00

16 port switch:
    $91.00
    (assuming your building is already wired for network)

Total Costs:
    $11,389
    so how much can your buisiness save? :P

Re:wow...I knew windows would be expensive, but not THAT expensive

Wow...I heard linux was gaining big ground in the small to mid-sized business world, and now I know why! You should maybe post that somewhere a little more high profile. That's a pretty realistic scenario.

i wouldnt know where to go with it.

it isnt exactly complete yet, and it sounds kinda corny imho, but i think once is start filming it and seeing how it turns out, i will be able to make it alot better..

the commercial's script:

Code:
    <man 1> [sitting at a desk, papers in front of him]:
    Your company can save over 50% by using Open Source software.

<man 1>
    You ask why anybody would want free software?

<man 1>
    free software is the key to the future.  The key to freedom.  Do you realize when you buy a computer, you pay up to $150 for windows? And $300 for office?  
    (small print on screen: “prices for OEM software.  Retail will cost more.”)

camera change angles

<man 1>  
    Now, when you are paying this for each computer, it might not be so bad for one or two computers, but when you have an entire network to buy for, the pricing adds up.

Prices apear on TV in white text to show the difference.

<man 1>
    That is thousands of dollars difference.  Litterally.  And you wonder why you hear IBM advertising their linux servers?  You wonder why multi-billion dollar companies switch to Linux?  They do it to save money.  You can save your companies money aswell.  

<man 1> 
    You can also save money now that microsoft dropped free support for windows 98 if you have existing computers.  Instead of upgrading to windows XP, you can upgrade to linux for free.  

<man 1> 
    A few people might question the Linux capabilities as far as stability or support. <short pause (mabye a couple seconds)> Well, Linux support comes in different forms.  Because there is no real company that controlls linux as an operating system, but rather as distributions, either the company itself supplies the support, or you can go to a linux user community aswell, which you can often find answers ina matter of minutes.  There is also  free documentation to do just about anything in Linux. And for the matter of stability, Linux can be run for months without a single restart, or crash.  

<man 1> [sitting at another table, this time with manuals infront of him]
    When Linux becomes outdated, and you decide its time to upgrade, you download a new version from the internet, when windows becomes outdated, you buy a new version.  For the server this is at least another $650, plus money for each client beyond five.  For workstations, this can be $100 or more.
    also, everything on there is done from memory, please help me correct where its inaccurate

Mentor

Wait a second, M$ would argue. For the Linux system you will have to hire a highly skilled sytems Administrator for big bucks and spend a million hours setting everything up. You have to add to the TCO. For the Windows system you could hire any MSCE kid for peanuts because it is so easy to administer... :

my argument is you dont hire an admin for a small or medium company, because you only need a consultant. the consultant for my dad's company would work for the same price for windows and linux. and like half for over the phone stuff. now, once linux is running, it has alot less issues then windows. so you need your consultant less. now think about your TCO. Also, i dont belive it would be much more then 50% longer to set up redhat, redhat is pretty easy generally. And i highly doubt that that would change the difference that much, windows would probobly still be at least 25% more expensive. and for a large company, with multiple servers, you probobly need twice as many windows admins as unix, but im not focussing on large companies, for there are fewer of them.

The problem is, in businesses already using M$, you have to consider the training . Think about the employees that make anywhere from $15/hour - $60/hour that have to be trained at that cost. Don't forget the cost of the people who have to train all these people. Figure that up, and incorperating another OS is not exactly cost efficient. Even when you figure in the cost of lost data per month, it still doesn't even break even. I personally don't agree with the choice, but that's how business is.

[quote author=Master Copy link=board=13;threadid=8013;start=0#msg73086 date=1067206226]
    The problem is, in businesses already using M$, you have to consider the training . Think about the employees that make anywhere from $15/hour - $60/hour that have to be trained at that cost. Don't forget the cost of the people who have to train all these people. Figure that up, and incorperating another OS is not exactly cost efficient. Even when you figure in the cost of lost data per month, it still doesn't even break even. I personally don't agree with the choice, but that's how business is.
    [/quote]

I installed redhat on my friend's dad's computer, and he found not only how to get on the internet, but how to open openoffice's wordprocesser within 5 minutes of booting the computer up. training isn't an issue unless you expect them to use a shell. so, estimate an hour of training, mabye two. it really isnt that much different if set up right.

[quote author=Master Copy link=board=13;threadid=8013;start=0#msg73086 date=1067206226]
    [/quote]

You know something? Everyone's always saying that but I've never seen it happen. I've worked at three jobs so far where they rolled out massive new systems...everything from a new bugtracking utility to a new enterprise portal. The most training I've ever gotten on anything is a simple little flash animation and a 20 page word document. In the enterprise portal case, it was being rolled out to 10,000 people. All we ever got was a little applet that told you how to do cool stuff, and a link to a manual page. Now I just can't believe that putting together that little presentation cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

Well, think about it in a different approach.

its not rocket science, they dont need to do everything.

they ONLY need office, Internet, and email..not to hard to teach them

I think you missed the point. Training the end-users would be an easy task. I'm talking about network managers, customer service, security analysts, database programmers, etc, etc. You expect them to go from M$ to a completely foriegn OS overnight?