Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Logings to screen

Thread: Logings to screen

Logings to screen

Hello people!

I have my Linux RH9 box configured to work as a gateway for my home LAN. I installed linux without a graphical interface, so all the work has to be done through a local or remote terminal of with webmin.

My DCHP is running fine, so is my proxy server. As a firewall I choose turtlefirewall (come also with a webmin interface).

The firewall does it's job, as far as I can see and my box is securely closed.

The problem is that the firewall is logging to both /var/log/messages and the screen of the gateway. Even when I'm NOT logged on.

As far as I can tell the loggings to the screen are normal loggings. (e.g. idiots who are just pinging away or others... :P)

I want the turtlefirewall to log only to /var/log/messages, loggings to the screen looks a bit unorganised and is very disturbing when working on the terminal.

Does anyone have the same experience?

How can I solve this problem?

Thanx

Good Guru

Re:Logings to screen

try looking at the startup script and see where the output is getting directed to (if anywhere). Then change it to something like /dev/null.

The starup script of turtle firewall you mean?

Would it be wise to dump your firewall loggings? ;D

Good Guru

that is irrelevant.

For example, take a program called "beertap". It will make a comment message to tty0 each time anything is done (tapped a glass of beer from any of the taps, new keg hooked up, etc). This also logs to /var/log/beertap.log.

Since the app is already going to /var/log/beertap.log, we can instead start it as follows to not have the comment messages goto the tty0:

beertap > /dev/null

That is what you need to do. In your service folder just edit the startup script to have the added info that I described.

So by pointing turtlefirewall to /dev/null it still will be logging to /var/log/mesages? Hmmm. Let me try that. Thanx S.C.

C.I.

Good Guru

Yep. I would be entirely suprised if that isn't just an echo to a tty screen.

Either way, if it doesnt log, make it by instead piping it to /dev/null , send it to whatever logfiel you want. Actually that may be the best bet. This way you can now use roottail to have a terminal that shows that output instead. Thats a thought...

Either way keep me informed.

Allright,
    Code:
    turtlefirewall > /dev/null
    Doesn't help me.

Piping to /dev/null? I might need a little more info on that.

Thx.

sorry for the rather late reaction