Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuSE Live CD drawing me in....

Hybrid View

Advisor

SuSE Live CD drawing me in....

First off, this is my first post in quite a while, some of you may remember me, others may not, but I haven't really been around since the beginning of the summer. (Work/School take up too much time). Anywho, I've been busy, and sadly haven't really had time for linux much lately, I've gotten stuck in the windows rut simply because I was too lazy to finish installing gentoo. (had some troubles with my KT400 drivers and the 2.6 kernel not being too nice to me) so anywho, long story short, i don't have a (working) linux partition right now.

So, today I was cruising the net and stumbled upon the SuSE Live CD, I figured, hey, what can go wrong with this? It doesn't even need to install, so I downloaded it for shits and giggles and booted up from it. Now I'm posting this from SuSE quite gleefully, remembering why I liked linux so much. Now I really don't have time for a hardcore distro like gentoo at the moment, but I do believe that SuSE is going to make it on my hard drive. I may wait for a week before I install, as I have 5 mid-terms in the next week and will be fairly busy, but this distro WILL get on my hard drive. I am very impressed with SuSE right now, this is my first time ever using SuSE and wow, what can I say other than wow. It's pretty sweet.

And I'm rambling....so basically what I'm saying is, the SuSE Live CD has just drawn me back to the beautiful penguin, thank you SuSE!

Re:SuSE Live CD drawing me in....

Hey man, I remember you. How you been doing?
    Is the SuSE live cd fairly up to date?

Hey PK! Long time! What makes SuSE so great in your opinion? What does it have that others in it's grouping (like Red Hat and Mandrake) don't have?

Advisor

I've been doing pretty well, thanks for asking. SuSE 9 seems to be fairly up to date, not cutting edge or anything, but kde 3.1.4 and gnome 2.2 i believe were the versions. The reason I like it, it just seems slick, easy setup, and it works right away. I'll have to play more to find out if I really want to stick with it, but for now it seems pretty good. I have come across a dissapiontment though, on the website it says you can install from ftp for free, so I thought all was well and good, then I looked into it a little more, and it seems that you can't do that for 9.0, only for 8.2 right now. So it looks like I won't be using SuSE in the near future unless 9.0 becomes available for free. (My personal opinion is that paying for linux isn't right for me at the moment, as I'm a student with almost no money).

I may check out mandrake though, we'll see how it goes in the future....i may even get off my lazy ass one day and finish installing gentoo. who knows.

Good Guru

So what happened to slackware?

I thought that was your cup O tea? There are several decent Slack Live Discs out there. I got the official one, which is pretty good. Leaner than Knoppix, but as useful, if not more than,

Advisor

Slack, wow that's been a while since I tried that one, maybe i'll give it another shot, i hear the newest version of it is pretty sweet. dammit, so many distro's, so little time. But for now, it's time to study, 5 midterms in the next 7 days.....not cool.

Good Guru

[quote author=PK link=board=7;threadid=7966;start=0#msg72831 date=1066688321]
    Slack, wow that's been a while since I tried that one, maybe i'll give it another shot, i hear the newest version of it is pretty sweet. dammit, so many distro's, so little time. But for now, it's time to study, 5 midterms in the next 7 days.....not cool.
    [/quote]

5 midterms eh ... yeah study, then pass, then dick with your pc.

I really like SuSE myself. It has a very solid, professional feel to it and the YaST tool is very impressive. It is very easy to install a minimalist system with SuSE as well, while still still having a lot of the "hard stuff" automagically done for you. It will, for example, setup Fetchmail and Postfix for you.

I'd say it like this- Mandrake gives you an easy desktop OS install; SuSE gives you an easy Unix Workstation install. If that makes any sense.

Good Guru

I personally think SuSE is far superior on both ends than MDK.

Advisor

Well, 2 midterms done, 3 to go. And being my usual self, I can't seem to modivate myself to study, so I installed Slack 9.1, I'm quite impressed. I don't have ati drivers or anything, but the basics are all there and done, really easy install, nice smooth system. The next step will be to get the 2.6 kernel so I can get propper support for my KT 400 chipset and then get ati drivers installed...but those little things called midterms do take up some time. Now if I can just find a good place for slack packs I'll be totally set. agh! what am I saying...i need to study.....