Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Lord of the Rings

Thread: Lord of the Rings

Lord of the Rings

So after I get it in my head that they are simply not mispronouncing "flys" when they say "rings" in some movies going about called - Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers. so i think okay - i will check 'em out.

and low and behold my wofe brings home a cartoon called The Hobbit and i wind up watching it. it was a good story, but the cartoon was rather dreadful - way to much bad singing.

a friend of mine at work has the LOTR FOTR movie and borrows it to me. and i check it out and find it is much different from the hobbit. - not much singing and a bit more action. the ending was a bit curious and obviously needed to be continued.

well a month after that the two towers come out on DVD and i check that out, and it is a pretty good flick. there is this one slimey dude who wants the ring through - i don't trust him because he wanted to eat biblo baggins way back in the hobbit.

but then i find i am hooked and need to know what happens - so instead of waiting for the next movie - return of the king - i get the freaking books.

1st the hobbit and the the LOTR book.
    the hobbit book was much better than the hobbit cartoon. the LOTR book is long - really freaking long. 1009 pages long not including the appedixies. but after 3 weeks of taking almost every spare moment to read it i am done - but i have some issues.

There were no battle cats - i think battle cats would have been cool. elves riding on battle cats would have been even cooler. and the cats smoke too.

There was no profanity (well at least i only came upon one curse word). i know for myself had i been in some of those situations i would have been swearing like there is no tomarrow. there are points in the movie where i would be injecting swear words into other swear words - kinda like dafushitckmnit. the lack of profanity made the book a bit less believeable. especially because there was lots of beer drinking.

besides those - it was a pretty good read. i am looking forward to seeing what the final movie looks like.

Re:Lord of the Rings

That is one of the best reviews I have seen.

I'm boycotting everything even remotely related to LOTR. A few years back before the hype started I tried reading the books. I got an edition with three volumes of ~400 pages each and I managed to read about 300 pages of the first book. I got so utterly bored that I fell asleep for three weeks and when I woke up I was really pissed off. I wrote a furious letter that I was gonna send to this Tolkien fella asking him to give me back these three weeks of my life or else. But then I found out he died like 20 years ago... So then I did the next best thing and sent my letter to LOTR guys, Hollywood, CA, USA ... and I'm still waiting for a reply >

and oh yea - I really wish the Keebler elves had been in this, they make one heck of a cookie.

Good Guru

Battlecats ... no.

BATTLEMECHS!!

Take on saurons ass with a YF-19. Or a Valkyrie. Or an Eva. Or the Excaflowne (or any other guymelef).

Now that would have been good. Pippin as a mechwarrior ;D

I loved the original books. I have thus far enjoyed the movies, though they are not as good as the books. IMHO, there has never been any epic fantasy as good.

I have to agree with CGA, as far as Epic Fantasy type movies, there is no parallel for it in its scope and vision of the original books and its translation to movie. The actors are awesome, especially Viggo Morenson (Sp?). Aragorn rocks.

Think about using a wildcat on thier assess!!!! But, there are several epic fantasies that are fairly well written and do contain curse words . Im reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan right now and im on book 5. I think there are 9 total right now. I would also recommend the Renshai series by Mickey Zucher Reichart. A most execellent read.

10ded

Good Guru

[quote author=10Dedfish link=board=17;threadid=7925;start=0#msg72811 date=1066641734]
    Think about using a wildcat on thier assess!!!! But, there are several epic fantasies that are fairly well written and do contain curse words . Im reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan right now and im on book 5. I think there are 9 total right now. I would also recommend the Renshai series by Mickey Zucher Reichart. A most execellent read.

10ded
    [/quote]

Over 10 I thought. I got a friend that read them several times over. He loves that book series. I can ask him. I think its still going on or was a recent release or something ... I never read one of them, so if I am off a bit, I apologize. Its just that my friend is the resident WOT guru as I am to linux around here.