Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

dsantamassino

Thread: dsantamassino

Mentor

dsantamassino

You've contacted me and asked about why other members are not helping you and being mean to you.

I decided to reply in an open post.

First of, I've been very busy lately and wasn't able to follow everything that was going on on the board. I wasn't fully aware of the situation until I got your IM.

Please keep in mind that nobody on this board is getting payed or getting any other benefits for helping out here. They do this because they believe in the Linux community and trying to give back what they received from others.

Your are more than welcome to ask questions, but can't demand answers. Also before you ask a question, do a little research on your own. Try to search this board first, then Google or any other site that might be helpful. If you can't find the answer anywhere, make a post. Your post should be like "I tried this and got this result or tried that and got that result", not just "It doesn't work, what do I do?". If you get a response, make sure you follow the instructions and reply back what the outcome was. PLEASE BE PATIENT!
    If your post shows that you've done your homework, just stuck with a problem, you will get very helpful responses and nobody will be mean to you or make fun of you.

If you keep these few thing in mind your learning experience and relationship with other members will be a lot better.

Good Guru

Re:dsantamassino

Well put ... but I really posted in regards to your footer ... I like. That is truly a first. Damn you for being more clever tha I :P

cloverm. I do research on my own. I guess they don't like the way i do research. Even if i did a little research that's better then nothing and they still complain about me. I really liked Schotty and trickster helping me until i received the post in the software forum. And i guess they don't like helping me anymore and i can't do anything about that. If i try to talk to them in PM about that post. I know they are not going to listen to me so i'm not going to PM them. I even tried the Redhat 9 driver for my modem with the same rpm commands and they don't believe me the commands did not work.

Ok, let's dissect your post by parts.
    [quote author=dsantamassino link=board=21;threadid=7921;start=0#msg72398 date=1065879541]
    cloverm. I do research on my own. I guess they don't like the way i do research.[/quote]
    Doing research on your own is not enough. You have to demonstrate you did research, so it doesn't seem like you are just leeching of everyone else.
    The way to do this is to begin your post by doing this:
    "I want to do such and such. I look on [this random site] and [this random site] and these were the answers I got: [answer 1] [answer 2]. However, I do not understand [this] about answer one. How do you do this?

Basically, you have not shown you have done research, and you have always asked everyone to walk you through every step, instead of trying it on our own and then coming back and saying at what point you are having problems.

As I said twice before, if you have problems with the instructions we have said, feel free to say what is the problem and we will help you. But don't make us do everything for you.

Even if i did a little research that's better then nothing and they still complain about me.
    You have not shown ANY research. None at all. Most of the things I have helped you with, I have gotten the info from Google in less than five minutes. As a rule of thumb, you can put it this way: research your problem for AT LEAST half an hour before posting. Then show what you have researched.
    If you need guidance on how to do searches with better results, feel free to post and I will be glad to point out how to improve your searches.

I really liked Schotty and trickster helping me until i received the post in the software forum.
    The post in the software forum said that you needed to look on your own before we helped you. It did not said you were not getting any help.

And i guess they don't like helping me anymore and i can't do anything about that.If i try to talk to them in PM about that post. I know they are not going to listen to me so i'm not going to PM them.
    Same as above.

I even tried the Redhat 9 driver for my modem with the same rpm commands and they don't believe me the commands did not work.
    You have not said at any point you tried the command. You never said what errors you got. At least I am no psychic or mind reader to know what things you have done.

This is my suggestion:

When you start a post looking for help, fill out the following form. That will make sure you have covered all bases:

1. What are you trying to accomplish
    2. What system do you have. (hardware/software)
    3. Where have you researched the topic. (links to places you have looked at, trying to resolve it.)
    4. What EXACT steps you have done to try to resolve it.
    5. What specific errors are you getting.

Also, is good manners to keep request for assistance on the open, out of PM's, since someone else looking for help might benefit from them.

The reason why i have not made a post about the output because i either want to copy it to a floppy disk to post instead of writing it all down or mount my Windows partition under Redhat but your not helping me to mount my Windows partitions. I want to copy the fstab file to a floppy so you guys can look at it but your not helping to copy files to a floppy. I told you guys in the Software forum that i was going to send cloverm an PM. If you help me copy files to a floppy disk i be more then happy to post the error i got with the command and i could also post the fstab file so you can help me mount my partition and see what hda is it on.

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=21;threadid=7921;start=0#msg72402 date=1065887562]
    The reason why i have not made a post about the output because i either want to copy it to a floppy disk to post instead of writing it all down or mount my Windows partition under Redhat but your not helping me to mount my Windows partitions. I want to copy the fstab file to a floppy so you guys can look at it but your not helping to copy files to a floppy. I told you guys in the Software forum that i was going to send cloverm an PM. If you help me copy files to a floppy disk i be more then happy to post the error i got with the command and i could also post the fstab file so you can help me mount my partition and see what hda is it on.
    [/quote]
    Your problem then, is that you are trying to do many things at once.

You can:

A) skip the floppy and use pen and paper to write it down

B) Post a new thread on getting help on mounting a floppy.

OF course, posting a new thread on that means that, before you do, you are expected to do research on how to do it.

I think i found something but i don't know would it work so for the hell of it i'm going to make a post with the subject of "Is this right link to mount a floppy under Linux??" . And i will find a forum to put it if i post in a wrong forum you or someone else could move it. Thanks.