Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandrake 9.2

Good Guru

Re:Mandrake 9.2

[Ralphie voice]

Burnt CDRoms taste like burning

[/Ralphie Voice]

The CD-ROM gets PHYSICALLY damaged just because you put in a Linux CD?!?! Yeah, right :

Come on. What kinda crap is that? Makes me wanna get an LG drive just to try it out ;D

I'll use almost any distribution, but for some reason I've no desire whatsoever to go back to Mandrake (I started on Mandrake 6.2)... I thought I was over being "too good" for a particular distribution but maybe not.

I upgraded to 9.2 from 9.1 and, overall, I'd have to say that it was a waste of time. SB Live digital soundcard doesn't work anymore (and yes, I unmuted everything) and can't get Flash to work with Netscape or Mozilla. Run command is missing from the KDE menu too. Will probably find more bugs as I start to use it more.

MDK 9.2 is indeed somewhat of a disappointment.

I'm personally more interested in what will happen now that novell has aquired SuSE and Ximian - that could make one kick ass combo.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=7918;start=0#msg74456 date=1069730462]
    I'm personally more interested in what will happen now that novell has aquired SuSE and Ximian - that could make one kick ass combo.
    [/quote]

Yes, but you've probably seen the end of free (albeit via FTP install) versions of SuSE.

Well, I finally had to replace Mandy 9.2. Since I had already erased my 9.1 ISOs, I decided to install SuSE 9.0 via FTP. Not too painful with ADSL. For some strange reason, SuSE's implementation of XFree86 has always been a problem for my graphics card and monitor combination. Can't use xvidtune in SuSE to get the screen to match the dimensions and location for a Windows screen on my triple-boot box (although I could use xvidtune in all previous versions of Mandy to do that). I think it's related to how SuSE implements YaST for monitor and graphics card configurations. Anyway, it's not too bad.

Sound card works fine now as does Flash in a Web browser.

[quote author=Coral Sea link=board=7;threadid=7918;start=0#msg74457 date=1069731183]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=7918;start=0#msg74456 date=1069730462]
    [/quote]

Yes, but you've probably seen the end of free (albeit via FTP install) versions of SuSE.
    [/quote]

I doubt that. I think Novell will not change things very much. You'll just a very hot rodded version of Ximian for SUSE and a "corporate" SUSE desktop offering in addition to the personal and pro versions.

I always buy SUSE boxed sets anyway, though.

For the uninformed...

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/mandrakemove

looks pretty nice, looks nicer than the other live cds ive seen, ill have it in 2 hours to try it, might be my new choice of livecd.

well mandrake move is pretty polished and nice looking, its awesome. sadly it wouldnt boot on my pc that has a radeon 9800, so i had to try it out on my roommates pc. also i wish they gave you mozilla 1.5, im not a fan of konqueror