Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenOffice 1.1

Mentor

OpenOffice 1.1

Finally got the sucker compiled and installed on Gentoo. There were a bunch of hurdles I had to get through first.

Anyway, it opened up a Word document perfectly, that was totally messed up in 1.03. Also, I converted it to PDF and that came out fine. I think I notice some speed improvement as well. I like what I see so far.

Re:OpenOffice 1.1

How good are the speed improvements? Last I used it (Granted it was a while ago) it took a few minutes to start up and was just too slow to use. I'd mainly be running it on my top (500MHz G3). Think it will be usable?

It takes so long to compile that if it's gonna be unusable I figure I'll stick to abiword

Oh and does it have powerpoint compatibility?

Mentor

The speed improvement is very difficult to gauge, but if there's any, it's not dramatic. I have OpenOffice Quickstarter installed, that cut the loading time down to a few seconds. It is compatible with PowerPoint, I've opened up a few documents with it.

it compiles in about 8 hours (once you use sed to correct some stupid code errors). on my system it launches very fast. it is massive improvement over the previous versions.

powerpoint? i dunno if it supports it or not but i don't see it being very hard to redo a powerpoint presentation if you really need to.

Good Guru

It is very compatible with most of the MS Office formats, including ppt. BUt the one drawback you will run into is if you are very dependent on vb scripts, you will have to redo them all in something else. Linux doesnt do VB ;D

Yeah someone really needs to fix that VB issue. As much as I can't stand it (not just because it's windows-only...because it's the dumbest little scripting language!), it's extremely common in the industry. Maybe mono is the answer everyone's looking for here.

Anyway OOo 1.1 is faaaaantastic. The speed improvements are remarkable. I've been running the rc's since they came out and it's brought me nothing but joy (granted, rc1 was pretty unstable, but it's golden now). Office import is indeed damn near perfect for almost all documents. What I noticed was a minor improvement in startup time (say, 75% of what it used to take?), but what really impressed me was the widget system. Menus drop down fast now! No more waiting for like 5 seconds for the freakin File menu to appear. Windows are much more snappy also. No change in the UI though I'm afraid...that's what Ximian is for (if only I could get it running on debian).

Anyway anyone running 1.0 should definitely upgrade at first chance. Major enhancements in all areas.

wow - i think it is at least as 3x as fast as ooo 1.0
    huge improvment.

i downloaded open office 1.1 it was only like 90 somethin MB, and all i did was untar it and run the setup and i had it installed, whats this about 8 hour compiles and stuff?

Mentor

[quote author=burntash link=board=2;threadid=7907;start=#msg72494 date=1065999263]
    i downloaded open office 1.1 it was only like 90 somethin MB, and all i did was untar it and run the setup and i had it installed, whats this about 8 hour compiles and stuff?
    [/quote]

You took the shortcut and downloaded the binary version. That is cool as long as you don't care to have the program optimized for your computer. I rather take the long way and download the source code and compile it myself so I get the best possible performance for my system.

ahh i see, it opens in 3 seconds on mine right now