Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mandrake takes a long time to boot - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mandrake takes a long time to boot

Re:Mandrake takes a long time to boot

What are you doing to look for them?

Good Guru

[quote author=trickster link=board=6;threadid=7881;start=0#msg72115 date=1065492495]
    What are you doing to look for them?
    [/quote]

I was thinking more along the lines of "Well, what the hell is there then?" but I suppose that will do :P

with no /etc I don't believe the system would even boot correctly since lots and lots of system config files are up there - I know that when I nuke /etc on my Gentoo setup (not if, when) I'm very happy that I have a backup because it completely screws the bootup.

trickster: What do you mean what i was doing?? I was looking for home folders and everything else.

How are you looking for them.

I was looking under the Mandrake foot print but we got some problems to clear up with my system. Here are the problems below.

When i log in to Mandrake it logs in fine but when i log out and then log in it does not log in properly. When i click log off to restart my system the log off box flashes where it would say restart or shut down or something like that. When i say flashes i mean it blinks really quick and then logs off and that is where i can't get back into Mandrake. I have to manually shut down my system by pressing the power button and i don't like to do that. Please reply back on what should i do. Thanks.

When you say it blinks and logs off, does it drops you to a terminal, freezes, or what?

Redhat worked better for me. I had less problems and everything. The last i tried Redhat. The commands did not work so after i install Redhat 9 i'm going to make a post on "No modem in Redhat 9"

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=6;threadid=7881;start=0#msg72185 date=1065571310]
    Redhat worked better for me. I had less problems and everything. The last i tried Redhat. The commands did not work so after i install Redhat 9 i'm going to make a post on "No modem in Redhat 9"
    [/quote]

Hi Derek,

You need to install a distro and stick with it, until you get everything working. You have been changing distros as if that was going to solve your problems, and as we mentioned before, it won't.

You already asked me how to get your modem to work. I told you detailed instructions via private messages. Unless the help you need involve those instructions, I'm not helping you anymore. You are making me loose my time.

What about using Knoppix or Morphix instead of actually installing distros? That way you could learn and fool around without breaking stuff. The autoconfigration may also provide clues (by looking at config files) for how to get stuff working in other distros. This assumes that the Knoppix autodetection works for all of your hardware. If your compy is old, however, you may run into problems as I did trying to boot Morphix from CD. Just a thought (also a shameless attempt to promote my new favourite distros).