Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mandrake takes a long time to boot
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandrake takes a long time to boot

Hybrid View

Mandrake takes a long time to boot

I just installed Mandrake Linux 9.1. For only one time i seen the desktop and it was taking a long time to boot. After i logged out and log back in it was still taking a long time to boot but that time it did not boot to the desktop. I get a blue screen with black sides. yes my mouse does work. Why is it taking a long time for?? Please reply back. Thanks guys.

To all mods if this is in the wrong place place move it because i don't know where this topic goes. Thanks.

Re:Mandrake takes a long time to boot

I can think of two causes for long boot times.

1) starting unneeded services - like sendmail, apache or other things you don't need (something like sendmail, a mail server, takes AGES to start and it's only a very few people who actually need them, and it's easy to accidentally make Mandrake start these services during the install if you are messing about with it)

2) some service like the starting of your network is trying do something like mounting an NFS volume without having the portmapper started (I did that once - it took several minutes before it gave up, very annoying - but easy to fix)

I didn't quite understand however, is it just really realy long to start or does it actually hang and never reach the GUI ?

please reply back, thanks

Yeah from my experience using FreeBSD Sendmail in particular can hold up the proceedings considerably if it is not disabled (or not configured in a way that the compy likes )

Edit: edited for clarity

I don't have apache or sendmail. Right before it gets to the desktop you could see the color of the desktop but you can't see the menu bar and etc. You just see blue desktop and black side and i'm not sure if it hangs or what you mean by that. I know it takes a long time.

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=6;threadid=7881;start=0#msg71999 date=1065386215]
    I don't have apache or sendmail. Right before it gets to the desktop you could see the color of the desktop but you can't see the menu bar and etc. You just see blue desktop and black side and i'm not sure if it hangs or what you mean by that. I know it takes a long time.
    [/quote]

A system hang would be indicatated by not ever getting to the desktop.. it sounds like you have some service problem though.

please reply back, thanks

Hey, Can you tell me how to fix the service problems or someone??

I don't think is a service problem. It looks to me like it is not using the correct video driver. That would explain the hanging on installing from gui, and also, the slow response.

post the results of lspci and lsmod

Yo trickster: How could i???? I have no modem in Mandrake. Hey do you really want to hear something?? When i click log off it won't give me a chance to select restart or sutdown. It goes so fast.

Can you get to a console?

yes.