Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk about imperialism

Talk about imperialism

I'm sure most of you have read this...

http://science.slashdot.org/science/...03&tid=160

discuss...

Re:Talk about imperialism

This greatly disturbs me. Does the world really need the arms race again?

Always get your skewed facts from the Guardian ... :

This really, isn't news. The Bush administration has been discussing militarizing [sp?] space for awhile now. Whoever controls the skies controls the land, you can pin point targets from outerspace with a push of a button control the action.

Didn't Reagan have the Star Wars plan during his terms? I heard when the shuttle Challenger exploded, they were going to be testing a laser beam or something similar. The one astronaut was a laser expert. McNair, I think was his name.

Kind Mastermind

I have a few comments:

1. We have no plans to break the treaty by placing weapons of mass destruction in outer space.

2. Since a laser aimed at a satellite is not a weapon of mass destruction, it would be legal.

3. Most of the objectives of space superiority deal with information superiority (spy satellites, communications satellites, etc). Thus, they do not break the treaty.

4. Most of our satellites and such are not in outer space proper, but in reality they are in low earth orbit, which would not be protected by the treaty.

So, that article is really nothing but someone trying to stir up an empty hornets nest. Besides, we have been talking about space superiority doctrine for years. Why are they just now realizing it? It hasn't been a secret since the eighties!

Cheers

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=14;threadid=9960;start=0#msg90338 date=1099989227]
    I have a few comments:

1. We have no plans to break the treaty by placing weapons of mass destruction in outer space.

2. Since a laser aimed at a satellite is not a weapon of mass destruction, it would be legal.

3. Most of the objectives of space superiority deal with information superiority (spy satellites, communications satellites, etc). Thus, they do not break the treaty.

4. Most of our satellites and such are not in outer space proper, but in reality they are in low earth orbit, which would not be protected by the treaty.

So, that article is really nothing but someone trying to stir up an empty hornets nest. Besides, we have been talking about space superiority doctrine for years. Why are they just now realizing it? It hasn't been a secret since the eighties!

Cheers
    [/quote]

It hasn't been a good idea since the eighties either, it was proven to be a fundings black hole, ineffective and dangerous (well sending anything into space is dangerous at some level).

Now why don't you take that pile of cash and do something useful with it, like fixing the electoral system so it won't be a 2 party only no invites allowed system, fix the environment up a bit, or so many other thing that would be ENDLESSLY more productive.

Wow, what are the odds...something from Lovechild telling us how hosed our country is... :

[quote author=Blackguard Stonedog link=board=14;threadid=9960;start=0#msg90341 date=1100005559]
    Wow, what are the odds...something from Lovechild telling us how hosed our country is... :
    [/quote]

if you expected less you've been gravely mistaken

IT is very heartwarming to know that there are still some things in life you can depend on...Things like taxes, death, and lovechild's US fetish.
    ;D