Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

FTP Server with Linux Box

Thread: FTP Server with Linux Box

FTP Server with Linux Box

Hi friends,

I have just installed a Linux Redhat 8 box. Actually, I wanna run a FTP Server on this linux box to allow some registered users to upload some of the data files.
    I have tried to find the material on internet but still no luck..

First, I must mention, I am a linux newbie...

I got some questions, would you guys, please help me to give some suggestions, i.e.

1. What I need to install the secure FTP Server...?

2. How can I install and secure FTP Server...?

3. How can I run the secure FTP Server...?

4. How can I make the users accounts and restrict their access to their permitted areas?

5. Do I need Apache Server to run the FTP Server or what?

Please suggest...!

Cheers...!

VJ

Mentor

Re:FTP Server with Linux Box

Look at proftpd. It lets you do everything you want. I haven't used it in a long time so can't remember how to install it sorry. The documentation is fairly good though
    Cheers
    CP

Hi CP,

Thanks for your quick response. But is proftpd is as secure or much secure than vsfptd?

and if it is, do you have a good link pointing to the good documentation or tutorial?

Cheers...!

VJ

Mentor

I don't know much about encryption, the website has quite a lot of info. It says there is a SSL/TSL module available. The website is http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/ it is very well documented.
    HTH
    CP

Red Hat bundles vsftpd on their package. Is supposed to be very good. Here is the main page and documentation: http://vsftpd.beasts.org/

Good Guru

[quote author=veejay link=board=4;threadid=7758;start=0#msg70806 date=1063883194]
    Hi CP,

Thanks for your quick response. But is proftpd is as secure or much secure than vsfptd?
    [/quote]

Just dont use wuftp. It sucks more than a 5 cent whore.

sftp for sure. Why let people sniff your users and password?

HI,

I agree with Kernel_Killer.

use sftp which interfaces with OpenSSH. There are alot of free utilities out there for Windows and *nix that make it easy to transfer files securely.

WinSCP and the Putty utilities for windows work very well.

Wouldn't it be great if Mozilla could access ssh just like it access ftp?

example:
    sftp://sftpdbox.mydomain.com

Make sure to upgrade Openssh

Red Hat Linux 8.0:

SRPMS: ftp://updates.redhat.com/8.0/en/os/S....4p1-7.src.rpm

i386: ftp://updates.redhat.com/8.0/en/os/i...4p1-7.i386.rpm
    ftp://updates.redhat.com/8.0/en/os/i...4p1-7.i386.rpm

So upgrade Openssh, turn it on, firewall it if you know where people are accessing it from, then point them to those free utilities to get their files.

HTH

I run a ProFTPD server on one of my boxes to allow anonymous FTP. It's not that hard to set up if you use the examples at www.proftpd.org. If you want a copy of my proftpd.conf file, let me know. It's supposed to be secure.

RH will have a ProFTPD RPM and maybe even an anonymous ProFTPD RPM (Mandrake does, but it's not very useful).