Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandrake 9.1 won't install

Mandrake 9.1 won't install

Hi guys,

I just got Mandrake Linux 9.1 today. I tried to install it but it is either not installing or it froze. Well, there was a page of message. It would probably take at least a dozen of paper to write everything down. I did write down the last line and it might help for you to help me.

<4> EXT2-fs waring: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended

and it takes for every but i don't know did it froze on me or what. What does that message mean?? Please reply back. Thanks guys.

Re:Mandrake 9.1 won't install

Did you tell the install to format your partitions? You should definitely do this. Tell it to format your partitions and create a new filesystem.

I didn't even make it that far. I got as far as to hit enter to upgrade or install. I didn't even get to the partitions. Can you help me after i told you how far i got?? And the message i got was a black screen with white writing. There was a shit load of messages that flew by. Please reply back. Thanks.

I kind of need more than " a bunch of white writing.." to troubleshoot.

I assume you have tried this more than a few times,right?

By the last message, it seems something on your partitions is screwed. I'd say

1. Decide if you want to keep whatever operating systems are installed on your system or no, before installing Mandrake.

A)If you decide to keep the current OSs, make sure you have/make new partitions for Mandrake

B)If you don't want to keep your current OSs, erase the partitions before installing. Though not normally necessary, this might fix your problems. Keep in mind that, in order for Windows to live in your box alongside any linux, you have to install Windows first.

Hi trickster,

I wanted to have a dual boot with both RH8 and Mandrake 9.1. I don't have Windows on my system. I'm getting a new CD from my Uncle and that should be in the mail tommorrow. How can i fix my partitions?? Should i try to install Mandrake first and then RH?? Then if i do that and Mandrake does not work then i have to reinstall RH. Please reply back. Thanks.

trickster, Do you have a copy of Mandrake in hand with a spare computer??

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=1;threadid=7860;start=0#msg71813 date=1065139324]
    trickster, Do you have a copy of Mandrake in hand with a spare computer??
    [/quote]
    I have both, but not the time or desire to install Mandrake. Sorry.

You need to consider a few things:

If you want to use Windows, you MUST install Windows first than anything else.

If you install Mandrake and Red Hat, you won't be able to install Windows in there without killing the other operating systems.

Now,

this is what I'd do:

1. Save all your files.
    2. Get a boot floppy, and use fdisk to erase all partitions.
    3. Install Windows.
    4. Install Mandrake.
    5. Install Mandrake.

Keep in Mind you will need space for all the installations.

No Windows. Do you remember my CD is scratch?? I'm waiting for a new one. In the mean time please check your IM. Thanks.

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=1;threadid=7860;start=0#msg71816 date=1065140863]
    No Windows. Do you remember my CD is scratch?? I'm waiting for a new one. In the mean time please check your IM. Thanks.
    [/quote]
    Derek,

If you EVER (as in EVER in your life) want to use Windows in that machine, you'd have to erase linux before loading it. Now, at least to me, installing two linux distros and troubleshooting them just to erase them in a few days to install Windows, is a waste of time.

trickster,

I know i would have to delete the partitions before loading Windows. I have the time to sit down and reinstall Linux and a few days later delete them and reinstall it. I want RH and Mandrake for a little while. Could you help me with those 2 Linux distros?? Please reply back.