Thread: If Sun sinks, what will happen to java

If Sun sinks, what will happen to java

There seems to be a lot of talk that Sun could go under but what would happen to Java?

Re:If Sun sinks, what will happen to java

sun go under? i doubt it, there was much talk about Sun on NPR the other day and the have $6,000,000,000 in cash sitting in accounts.

Good Guru

Not go under, get bought out in a hostile takeover bid. That is very possible. Pretty much the three that could do it, IBM, HP, MS, only microsoft would have the idiotic brass to actuall kill off the company. HP and IBM would merge the assets into their line, and Java would be alive and well. The Solaris line would very likely continue for a few more revisions, but migrated to AIX if acquired by IBM, spunoff if acquired by HP.

Sun is waaaaaaaaaay too big to go down. They've already discussed a corperate takeover. Buy their stock while you can. It's at $3.39 a share right now!

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=bobblebob link=board=9;threadid=7859;start=0#msg71794 date=1065104773]
    There seems to be a lot of talk that Sun could go under but what would happen to Java?

[/quote]

If Sun does go down (which I doubt seriously), I am sure that who ever buys out Sun's assests would be more than willing to keep it alive. If it doesn't, then one of the open-source Java implementations would probably take over.

Personally, I would like to see Sun do to Java what it did to StarOffice...strip it of any proprietary code, open-source what is left, and let the OSS community take the code ever higher. That would allow for this vital piece of technology to go forward regardless of whatever future Sun has.

It's too bad companies like Sun, Microsoft, etc. don't get the whole open standards thing. I really believe that the future of computing must lie in open standards and open source. Too bad these companies haven't truly seen the light.

Cheers