Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

vi command for grub
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vi command for grub

Hybrid View

vi command for grub

I have a dual boot with Windows XP pro and Redhat Linux 8. And Windows XP says DOS. I do not remember the vi command for grub. If i remember correctly i would need that vi command and change both lines from DOS to Windows XP. Does anyone know the command off the top of their head?? If you do please reply back. Thanks everyone.

Mentor

Re:vi command for grub

The first line returned from a google search of vi commands is this; http://www.chem.brown.edu/instructions/vi.html

the second one;
    http://www.cs.colostate.edu/helpdocs/vi.html

learn to do a search on either google or on this site before you post

you might actually find the answer for yourself rather than having everyone do the work for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by boblucci View Post
    The first line returned from a google search of vi commands is this; http://www.chem.brown.edu/instructions/vi.html

the second one;
    http://www.cs.colostate.edu/helpdocs/vi.html

learn to do a search on either google or on this site before you post

you might actually find the answer for yourself rather than having everyone do the work for you!!
    Don't get butthurt that your wife cheated on you and take it out on someone who needs help. Google is awfully vague, especially with stuff like this. Learn to think before you make unnecessary comments.

Because if i did a search on google for the vi command. I bet you i'm not going to find what i'm looking for.

Well i did got the command but permission was denied.

~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    "/boot/grub/grub.conf" [Permission Denied] 0,0-1 All

Why is that?? There is my output. Only reply back if you really want to help me. That guys he did want to help me. I don't know why for some reason. Thanks for help.

You need to do it as root.

trickster, Something really strange happen. Listen to me please and bare with me. I did the vi command as root. I reboot the system and it does not say Windows_XP or DOS. DOS means XP in Linux for some reason. It just says Redhat Linux but when i hit enter for Redhat Linux it boots into Windows XP. It says Redhat but it's not. Out of all the times i used vi commands i never ever seen anything like that. trickster: What just happen after what i told you?? Please reply back. Thanks.

It seems your grub.conf got messed up when editing it.

You may need to enter again in rescue mode and edit the grub.conf again. If you installed pico on your system, pico is a way easier text editor than vi.

I personally don't know how to use vi.

First, Do i need to reinstall Windows XP?? Please tell me i don't. After i get everything. Could you help me set up pico?? Please reply back. I'm going back in the CD with rescue mode so by time i'm done i should have a reply back. Thanks.

You do not need to reinstall either Windows or Linux.

Are you sure you are using Grub, or are you using Lilo?

Pico is a program that comes with the Pine suite. If you did a full install of Red Hat, you should have it. If you did not, it won't be installed.

You have to look inisde the three Red Hat cd's and install the pine rpm.