Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

RH questions about MBR and first sector - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RH questions about MBR and first sector

Re:RH questions about MBR and first sector

Actually i'm not going to give up. I got your IM trickster. Where do you want to start first?? I'm thinking about trying to use the Windows bootloader but i don't know how. Please reply back. Thanks trickster.

Try the rescue option again. On the rescue screens, as it is booting up, it teels you how to do a chroot. Read the instructions, and post back if you have trouble doing it.

No it does not tell me how to do a chroot. I read the instructions on screen more then once. Please reply back.

Why can't i do a chroot?? I really would like to know. Please reply back. Thanks.

You need to take your time and read what it says when you are getting into rescue mode.

justlinux.com gave me step by step instructions and it worked.

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...hreadid=113286

1. Boot your machine from your boot media (cdrom1) and select linux rescue to install to the command prompt.

2. Redhat 8.0 displays a message “If you would like to make your system the root environment, run the command: chroot /mnt/sysimage”.
    Go ahead and do that.

If you are running a different distro or you don’t get that message, you can proceed as follows.
    · Run mkdir /mnt/sysimage and mount it with mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/sysimage.
    Note: hda1 is where the linux system is located, yours may be different.
    · Now run chroot /mnt/sysimage to make your system the root environment.

Type the command: rdev to find out what partition your root is on.

3. Get into the grub configuration utility with the command: grub.
    · At the prompt grub> type the command: root (hd0,1) ; this will tell grub that the linux files it needs are in the second partition (1) of your first hard disk (hd0). Change this to meet your configuration needs. For instance, if the linux files are on the first partition (0) of the second hard disk (hd1), then type root (hd1,0).
    · If you selected the correct location (where linux is installed), you should see a message as follows.... Filesystem type is Ext2fs, partition type is 0x83.

· Then issue the following command: setup (hd0) ; this will install grub in the MBR of your first hard disk. You could change that to use the /boot partition if desired.

· Exit the grub utility with the command: quit

You can also try to use grub-install /dev/hda to install grub on your first hard drive's MBR, but the method described above is the preferred one.

Hey schotty. Where are you?? We got work to do under Linux. Log on into AIM. Later.