Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

RH questions about MBR and first sector
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RH questions about MBR and first sector

Hybrid View

RH questions about MBR and first sector

I did not see any place to place this question so i'm going to place it here.

I did want my bootloader on the MBR and i want it on the first sector of my hard drive. How do i put it on the first sector without reinstalling RH?? I do not want to reinstall it or delete any partitions and no i did not create a bootloader floppy disk. Please reply back. Thanks guys.

Good Guru

Re:RH questions about MBR and first sector

That is the default option for when you install Red Hat

trickster: I really need you to help me. I just reinstalled RH and i put it on the first sector of my hard drive and now RH won't boot up. It's only booting right into Windows XP and no bootloader manager. Why is that?? Please reply back. Thanks trickster.

ok. Does anyone else know why Redhat won't boot?? Please reply back and help me if you can. Thanks guys.

Reinstall RedHat again and put it on the MBR instead.

Or you might want to try Mandrake. You might find it easier.

One, I don't have Mandrake yet. 2. Why do i have to put it on the MBR?? I want to see how well it will work on the first sector of the hard disk. Please reply back. Thanks.

When your computer boots up from your hard disk, the first place it looks is the MBR for instructions. Right now, your MBR is saying to your computer "boot directly into Windows." If you reinstall RedHat, and put the bootloader on the MBR, this will override the old data with RedHat's bootloader (which will give you a choice between Windows and Linux).

Judging by what I've seen from you around these forums, I think you might really like Mandrake. It's the easiest distro I've ever tried.

Then why the hell do they have a choice for the bootloader to boot off of the first sector of the hard disk?? That is really strange i think. I'm going to make a reply to see what's up with trickster and the CD's.

Man, I was talking to schotty early today in IM and he should of told me that i will had a problem by booting off of the first sector of the hard disk.