Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RH questions about MBR and first sector

Re:RH questions about MBR and first sector

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=2;threadid=7825;start=0#msg71517 date=1064699447]
    Man, I was talking to schotty early today in IM and he should of told me that i will had a problem by booting off of the first sector of the hard disk.
    [/quote]
    How could he have known that?

You don't have to reinstall.

1. Boot off to the first Red Hat cd.
    2. Select the option that says linux rescue
    3.READ what it says on the screen. Mount the partition as read-write.
    4.Reinstall Grub by doing this:
    a) type grub. The grub menu will come up.
    b)On the grub menu, type setup (hd0) .

That will reinstall grub to your MBR.

First i know this. I don't even need to boot off of the CD. I never even seen rescue on the CD. Never ever seen it and i know it's not there. Second, I don't want it on the MBR at all. First sector is where i want it and that's it. Just help me boot Redhat off of my hard drive not MBR and that's all.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=2;threadid=7825;start=0#msg71514 date=1064699046]
    Then why the hell do they have a choice for the bootloader to boot off of the first sector of the hard disk?? That is really strange i think. I'm going to make a reply to see what's up with trickster and the CD's.
    [/quote]

The reason for giving the option to install the bootloader to the first sector is that some people have other bootloaders that would potentially be overwritten if the bootloader were installed to the mbr. Some people use other bootloaders and simply update the bootloader of choice to point to the first sector of whichever hard drive they need to point to.

Historically, the mbr is very easy to destroy. I can simply boot the computer with an old win95 floppy, type in fdisk /mbr and wipe the mbr clean. Not to mention, some older versions of anti-virus programs would see the bootloader as a potential viral program and wipe it out (if dual-booting).

If you have a floppy drive and some spare disks, I suggest that you put the bootloader on a floppy. That way you can't mess the mbr up at all and you still get to run Linux. Otherwise, put the bootloader on the mbr and that should be that. BTW...it's always wiser to make a boot floppy just in case something does hose your mbr.

Cheers

Does that mean i have to reinstall Redhat?? Please reply back. Thanks.

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=2;threadid=7825;start=0#msg71521 date=1064701123]
    First i know this. I don't even need to boot off of the CD. I never even seen rescue on the CD. Never ever seen it and i know it's not there. Second, I don't want it on the MBR at all. First sector is where i want it and that's it. Just help me boot Redhat off of my hard drive not MBR and that's all.
    [/quote]
    If you have not seen it, you are not looking. Is there.

If you have Windows installed, it will be at the beggining of your drive. If you install anything there, say bye bye to Windows.

Well i'm not going to put RH CD in my drive for nothing when i know i don't see it on there.

Good Guru

[quote author=trickster link=board=2;threadid=7825;start=0#msg71520 date=1064700854]

How could he have known that?
    [/quote]

Because I know how shit works ;D

Anyway, D' I am back now, so as soon as I get my aim setup on this box, I ll be back to rock and rollah as the ayatollah of Red Hat-ollah.

cool man. Peace out. Later.

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=2;threadid=7825;start=0#msg71526 date=1064703162]
    Well i'm not going to put RH CD in my drive for nothing when i know i don't see it on there.
    [/quote]

always going the extra mile Trickster