Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

No internet in Slackware 9.1

Thread: No internet in Slackware 9.1

Kind Mastermind

No internet in Slackware 9.1

I finally got my mouse working under Slackware (9.1) [I'll post a PET later after I've done some more messing around]. Well, now I can't seem to connect to the internet. lsmod seems to indicate that the driver is loading on boot:

Module Size Used by Not tainted

8139too 15240 0 (unused)
    mii 2304 0 [8139too]
    crc32 2880 0 [8139too]
    ppp_generic 5452 0 (unused)
    slhc 5040 0 [ppp_generic]
    What does unused mean? That is the right driver, I would assume. Any thoughts? Obviously, the lsmod output is shortened somewhat, but I only took out usb, sound, tvcard, etc entries to make things shorter.

I am really loving this latest version of Slack and would really like to be able to use the internet while in it.

Cheers

Re:No internet in Slackware 9.1

*Usually* unused means the driver is loaded, but that it is not being used by anything. What kind of nic you have?

Kind Mastermind

It is a RealTek RLT8139 series ethernet adapter. I think I might have found a fix for it by using dhcp to querry my ISP. But, since I reinstalled things last night, I'm still trying to fight my mouse. Grrrr...I hate mice!

Cheers

Hadn't you gotten it to work already?

You might want to take a look at the release notes.

It talks about hotplug changes and changes on locations for some config files.

Kind Mastermind

Welp, I finally got my mouse and internet working. In fact, I'm surfing right now under a fresh install of Slack 9.1!

Here are some of the "problems" I fixed:
    1. I stopped gpm from running...not certain if that helped or not, but it made me feel good.
    2. I had to uncomment a line in rc.modules to allow for /sbin/modprobe hid - that seems to have been the main problem.
    3. Set the mouse to /dev/input/mouse0 - that seems to be an additional issue.
    4. When I set up Slack I made sure that dhcpd is running and it plays nice.
    5. Ran alsaconf, sound works even after rebooting.

While it was a minor pain to get things figured out, it was kinda fun and probably mostly my fault. So, hopefully, I can remember the steps I took in case I decide to reinstall everything again. So, hopefully, my saga is now complete.

Cheers

Note: Trickster...thanks for helping, it is appreciated.