Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Mandrake all about??

What is Mandrake all about??

Hi guys,

I have a question here. How hard and how easy is Mandrake Linux 9?? Is it harder, easier or the same as RH8?? Please tell me it's not the same or harder. Man, if you tell me that i will have one hell of a time with Mandrake. Can you guys give me some info on Mandrake?? Please reply back. Thanks guys.

Re:What is Mandrake all about??

Mandrake is nice it's easy to use and it's URPMI is suppose to be like apt. If you want mandrake wait for 9.2 not point in getting 9.1.

Kind Mastermind

It is easier in many respects than RH8. You will still need to put a bit of time into it, though. It's not always an easy task getting Linux to work the way you think it should.

Regardless of how long you use Linux (I've used it off and on for six years now), there will always be something that doesn't quite work. Even Windows has similar problems though many companies produce win drivers much quicker than they do the Linux ones. Such is life.

I've gotten my mouse and keyboard to work under most, but not all, distros. If I put a few more hours into it, I'm sure that I can find out how to get it running under Slack. The moral, of course, is to show you that you will still need to put some time and effort into Mandrake. It doesn't matter how easy a distro is to install, or how well it detects and sets up your computer components automagically, you will still have a ton to learn.

Here is to your continued adventure.

Cheers

Mandrake 9.2 is very nice - well when it hits final (I have cooker running and the final ISOs are supposed to be released to club members very soon - the rest of the world gets general access later).

it's very easy to setup and use.

Derek,

I think for you it will be the same as Red Hat.

If you are trying to guess if all your things (like cd playing support) will work out of the box, you are in for a big dissapointment.

It looks like then i will never get to know my way around any type of Linux. I'm trying to work with Redhat but it's not working with me.

have you ever thought of just upgrading to red hat 9 ???

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=7;threadid=7819;start=0#msg71469 date=1064627240]
    It looks like then i will never get to know my way around any type of Linux. I'm trying to work with Redhat but it's not working with me.
    [/quote]

Derek, it is possible that Mandrake may work for you out-of-the-box. It probably won't do everything for you, though. Since it has it's own development cycle that is seperate from Redhat, you may find that your issues have been resolved. Don't hold your breath, though.

If you maintain your defeatist attitude you probably will be guarenteed to forever be "almost there". I don't know crap about the internals of Linux, but using a little google and a little bit of curiosity, liberally sprinkled with my time, I found out how to get my mouse working under Debian. Had I used your comments as a frame of reference, I would have put myself into a state of mind that would have guarenteed me failure. Sure, I wish my mouse worked perfectly with no interaction on my part. But it doesn't. I have decided that I am going to figure that thing out no matter what happens or how long it takes. Just having that frame of reference will guarentee me positive results. If all else fails, I will teach myself c/c++ programming and develop a damned driver for my mouse. Any way you look at it, I'm going to win.

I understand that you have a learning disability. So what? My wife has a learning disability compounded by Seasonal Affectiveness Disorder. She is successful in the culinary arts. People seek her out and pay her well for her to do her thing. If you hide behind your disability, you will be disabled. I am hyperactive with moderate depression (with periods of severe depression). I don't allow my "disabilities" to hamper me. It's not easy, but it's doable. There are several other people here who wish that the only problem they had was a learning disability. They are still successful. You can be, too. Just choose to be.

Now, when you have your discs, tell us and we will guide you through whatever it is you need us to. Just don't give up.

Mandrake 7.1 was the first great distro that I used. It hooked me, period. Now, after all these years, I've gone on to a variety of "harder" distros. I enjoy them sooo much more so than I do Mandrake. You will get there, believe me. Soon, you will be hanging out with us in Nerdvana!

Cheers

dsantamassino, maybe you could take a look at JAMD Linux, it is pretty easy to setup and detects alot of hardware during installation.

It may not solve all problems but may work for you.

It is based on RedHat 9 but a slim down version of sorts.

http://www.jamd-linux.com/

Check it out.

Good Guru

Look guys, I think the problem is not the distro but him (no to be rude). He is clueless and needs to get that linux != windows. I think I may be able to walk him thru a few things in the morning. We shall see. I had zero issues with redhat really. KDE sucked in the 7.1 release but thats about it. Plus with up2date and apt4rpm, alot of his problems will go away for now.