Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: IceWM download??

Good Guru

Re:IceWM download??

I laid out step by step what to do. If you dont want to try, then dont. Your PC not mine.

shouldn't icewm be shipped with most distros so all this tarball and rpm stuff is redundant?

Good Guru

Red Hat just ships twm, KDE, and GNOME. Although if he is running RHL 8, he has window maker too.

But that is all a moot point. There are binary rpms out there. Eventually the guy uis gonna want a new app or to upgrade. He will still need to know how to add rpms or even build an srpm. Neither is really that hard.

Hey Schotty. We will figure all that out tommorrow. I'm going to kick back tommorrow and watch you tear through my system.

Good Guru

Well, tomorrow I will get apt setup for ya if you cant. I expect a little effort to learn here. I understand that you are a newbie to linux, but we all were here. And we all got it with alot less help, alot shittier releases, and alot more days spent reverse engineering shit that doesnt need it.

When it takes a month to get a sound board working, because you had to recompile a kernel 15 times to get all the shit in there, then you truly know ;D

I started on Slackware back in 1997. I had to walk uphill both ways in the snow without shoes. And DAMMIT I LIKED IT!!

Are we going to recompile the kernel tommorrow about 500 times?? yeah i put some effort in it. I also want Wine. I want to run Win applications under Linux. I also want to make Linux to look like Win XP with the Win managers.

Good Guru

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=6;threadid=7811;start=30#msg71464 date=1064625650]
    Are we going to recompile the kernel tommorrow about 500 times?? yeah i put some effort in it. I also want Wine. I want to run Win applications under Linux. I also want to make Linux to look like Win XP with the Win managers.
    [/quote]

no no compiling.

Wine, that is up to you, you can get that on your own thru synaptic.

I will get you started off with a working system. Then we can go from there

[quote author=Schotty link=board=6;threadid=7811;start=30#msg71461 date=1064624389]
    Well, tomorrow I will get apt setup for ya if you cant. I expect a little effort to learn here. I understand that you are a newbie to linux, but we all were here. And we all got it with alot less help, alot shittier releases, and alot more days spent reverse engineering shit that doesnt need it.

When it takes a month to get a sound board working, because you had to recompile a kernel 15 times to get all the shit in there, then you truly know ;D

I started on Slackware back in 1997. I had to walk uphill both ways in the snow without shoes. And DAMMIT I LIKED IT!!
    [/quote]

Lol . . . and agreeing. My journey may not have been quite as arduous (started later) but I'm sure a lot of people can relate to that post. Nicely said Schotty.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=ifred link=board=6;threadid=7811;start=30#msg71695 date=1064876993]
    Lol . . . and agreeing. My journey may not have been quite as arduous (started later) but I'm sure a lot of people can relate to that post. Nicely said Schotty.
    [/quote]

Some days the arduous task is just getting out of bed. I can get my mouse working under one distro and can't under another. Strangely enough, though it is very frustrating, I'm enjoying the time that I'm spending sans GUI. Learning what I am learning is a priceless thing. With Windows I would be out of the loop since you can't really learn the internals with out some kind of nda.

Never thought so much pain could be so much fun!

Cheers