Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is exactly is XWindows?? Where do i download it from??

What is exactly is XWindows?? Where do i download it from??

Hi guys,

I heard of XWindows. What is exactly is XWindows?? Do i need to download it myself or does it come with most of Linux distros. If i have to download it myself then where do i download it from?? Can someone give me some info on this?? Please reply back. Thanks guys.

Re:What is exactly is XWindows?? Where do i download it from??

XWindows is the software that provides the base for graphical user interfaces like KDE or Gnome. Most distributions are shipped with XFree86, one of the implementations of the XWindows system.

XWindows, or "X" is the GUI(graphical user interface) and it usually comes with your distribution of linux under the xfree86 implementation for x86 systems.

we replied at the same time =P~~~~

So, What you are saying that XFree86 is GUI?? Is that right?? Where can i get XFree86 from to run under my Linux system?? I want to try it out to see do i like it or not. Please reply back. Thanks.

ya xfree86 is the x86 platform implementation of X, and if you should already have it with your distro.

If you are using KDE or GNOME or any other windows manager you have already installed xfree86

The vast vast VAST majority of linux distros come with X, and use it by default. Let's put it this way. If you start your linux system and you're greeted with a command prompt (mine looks something like this: conor@localhost:~$ ), and typing "startx" after you log in does nothing, then you don't have X installed. Things will look a lot like MSDOS.

However, if your linux system starts up into a GUI with a mouse pointer and everything's all pretty with icons and such, then X is installed and running. Things will resemble any other modern OS like MacOSx or Windows.

X is available from http://www.xfree86.org/ . If you don't know what X Windows is, I'll assume you've never used Linux before. You might try starting with Mandrake Linux (available from http://www.mandrake.com/ ). This will install and configure X windows for you.

Some irritable people insist that it is not "XWindows" but "X Window System" or "XFree86," and they're most likely correct. But either way most will know what you mean if you use "XWindows" - just giving you a heads up in case you encounter one of the aforementioned.

Good Guru

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=6;threadid=7808;start=0#msg71327 date=1064521278]
    So, What you are saying that XFree86 is GUI?? Is that right?? Where can i get XFree86 from to run under my Linux system?? I want to try it out to see do i like it or not. Please reply back. Thanks.
    [/quote]

Okay lets take a step back for a minute.

Linux is a very modular OS. You have 4 basic core parts.

1) The kernel. This is what Linux really is. It is the interface between the hardware and OS. This is what makes drivers possible and your hardware have as little or as much functionality as it has.

2) The shell. This is what allows interaction between the user and the kernel. Bash is a shell. Generally also known as the command line interface, or command prompt, or terminal,

3) X. This is what you are interested in. There are really only a handful of X sdervers out there, and the only free and useful one at this time, is XFree86. If you have a GUI, or are running any mainstream distro, its there. This provides your shell a way of making a gui. Part 4 is what actually utilizes it. X gives step 4 tha ability to draw, use the mouse and soforth.

4) Desktop environment (DE) or Window Manager (WM). This is what actually tells the X server what to draw. The fancy graphics are accomplished in this layer. GNOME, KDE, Fluxbox, XFCE, Window Maker, etc are all part of this layer.

So if you have a component of 4, 3 is there. And since I recall you have Red Hat, you ARE running XFree86 v4.2 or 4.3.

Tyr_7BE: How good are you in Redhat 8?? I have something for you to do but just reply back here and i will tell you what post to reply too. ok?? Thanks.