Thread: WindowMaker

WindowMaker

Damn, WindowMaker is one fine GUI! Clean, simple, elegant and easy to work with! Let's me run a mix a GUI progies that I like, and a bunch of Xterms while still looking good.

This opinion subject to change without warning... ;D

Re:WindowMaker

I've been a fan of WindowMaker for a while myself. It's simple, clean, easy, and resembles NextStep! What more could you want?!

I was a fan for a while. These days I prefer XFCE4 or IceWM. Given the sheer number of window managers out there though Windowmaker is still probably one of the better ones. The one cool thing about WM that I always liked was the dockapps . . . especially the xmms dockapp and the sticky note dockapp. Always made me wish I had a bigger monitor.

Windowmaker can look rather nice, but at the moment i'm rather fond of blackbox and i'm gonna try enlightenment some time later tonight, after my building the latest pre-release from CVS b0rked somehow.

I'm also a fan of the WM dockapps, rather nifty.

I wonder how long this will last.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=6;threadid=7778;start=0#msg71065 date=1064173772]
    [/quote]

I'm betting not long at all. He'll be back to IceWM or KDE 4 when it comes out, or <insert new minimalist WM/DE here>.

At least we can say one thing, he is the most experimental person out there. I'm certain that he has used more WM/DE's than just about anyone else I've seen. I toast you, cga, for your adventerous spirit!

Cheers

Can't hurt to sample a range of WMs though.

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=6;threadid=7778;start=0#msg71066 date=1064174415]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=6;threadid=7778;start=0#msg71065 date=1064173772]
    [/quote]

I'm betting not long at all. He'll be back to IceWM or KDE 4 when it comes out, or <insert new minimalist WM/DE here>.

At least we can say one thing, he is the most experimental person out there. I'm certain that he has used more WM/DE's than just about anyone else I've seen. I toast you, cga, for your adventerous spirit!

Cheers
    [/quote]

Thanks! I do enjoy experimenting with UIs. I have been working up some notes about my adventures with Linux GUIs, and will probably have a post, or even a PET, sometime down the road.

As I've said before, my thing about DEs is that I just don't really work that way, and I find KDE to just be too much for me to handle. Nothing in the world really wrong with it, it just gets in my way too much. I can't really comment about Gnome, as it seems to much improved over the 1.x versions I tried in the past and loathed. I like IceWM and FVWM. I do not like Enlightenment or the *boxes.

What I really like about WindowMaker is that it is clean and elegant and very powerful while being simple and not in the way.

We'll see what happens. My bet is that I will not be messing with DEs anymore- I just don't want that. I'll settle on one of IceWM, FVWM or WindowMaker. For a while... ;D