Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Kind Mastermind

What would you do?

I've got to figure out the best way to do this, so any help would be greatly appreciated. So, here goes

Hard drive 0,0 has *xp* on it. It's a 10 gig drive.
    Hard drive 0,1 has Debian on it. It's an 8 gig drive.
    Hard drive 1,0 has a 120 gig drive on it. I've got Gentoo 1.4, Libranet 2.7 Classic, FreeBSD 5.1, RH 9, Slackware 9, and Mandrake 9.1 that I would like to put on the 120 gig hdd.

How should I set things up? I want to set things up the right way. Which distro would y'all suggest that I install first, second, etc? I'm figuring that since the RPM based distro's are the easiest to set up I'd set them up last. Any possible conflicts that I should be aware of before I proceed?

Cheers

Re:What would you do?

This is probably a huge trial-and-error situation due to the conflict with the boot-loaders. I would almost say to install in any order, and let rather Libranet or Gentoo have the boot loader. I'm not totally sure how well the disk is going to take all those partitions, but it's worth trying out.

Kind Mastermind

Well, it's been a real long time since I installed Mandrake (Mandy 7.1). Holy shitaki mushroom! I'm loving Mandy 9.1! It properly configured my mouse and keyboard (they are a lovely M$ wireless kb and mouse that regularly gets fsck'd up by x), which I wasn't expecting for it to do (sometimes Knoppix chokes on my mouse/kb). I'm freaking impressed. I might not go on with my little experiment (yeah, right). Well, maybe I'll wait a little bit until I continue. It's going to be way more fun exploring me little Mandy box.

Cheers

My first "problem" was an inability to play cd's. Tried a couple of the apps in multimedia/sound. Then I tried grip. Much impressed! It recognized the cd, d/l'd the cddb info automatically, and allowed me to play it! Nice. Daddy be very happy!

Mentor

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=12;threadid=7752;start=0#msg70768 date=1063811750]

Hard drive 0,0 has *xp* on it. It's a 10 gig drive.
    Hard drive 0,1 has Debian on it. It's an 8 gig drive.
    Hard drive 1,0 has a 120 gig drive on it. I've got Gentoo 1.4, Libranet 2.7 Classic, FreeBSD 5.1, RH 9, Slackware 9, and Mandrake 9.1 that I would like to put on the 120 gig hdd.

[/quote]

this is what i would do, I would put xp on first and boot off of it using the ntloader to bring up lilo with options for all the other distros. I would install debain on the 120 gig and just deal with 2 hard drives

When you install the boot loader on the other distros amke sure you install it in the first sector of the /root partition NOT in the mbr.

personally i would not have xp on there at all.

i went straight linux over a year ago and have not missed XP at all.

without xp you can have arch linux on all 138 gb :P

you might also try not using the boot loader options in the various distros you install and just install GAG http://sourceforge.net/projects/gag

I have used it to boot a win 98/FBSD system with no troubles. Your experience may vary, however, given the scope of your project.

If you do want to use Lilo, then use Debian's...I installed it on the MBR and it seems to be the only one for me that picked up all the other distros, including Windoze, Slackware, Archlinux, Crux and Freebsd without a hassle. It worked pretty smooth for me.

I'm not sure how Debian's Grub would work, I never tried it.

Kind Mastermind

Well, it's official....Debian stays, the others, well, ummm, suck in one way or another (so does Debian, mind you, just not enough to be a problem for me). So, I'm going to stick with dual booting (there are still somethings from work that only work under Windows.... :-\).

As much as the other distros are well polished and look nice, there still seems to be a little bit of that old-school mentality to me (meaning that I prefer Slack and Debian). Slickness doesn't go quite as far as I thought it might.

Oh well. Life is short and I have some hardware issues to sort out with my nifty Debian Sid.

Cheers

I would prefer Gentoo's grub, but that's just me. LILO just seems more clumsy than grub, and you don't have to install grub again everytime you change something.

for a klondike bar? I'd use windows 95!!!!!!