Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Windows software under Linux

Using Windows software under Linux

Here is a good question for you guys. I thought maybe you guys could help me a little. I know Windows programs will not run under any Linux distro. I have a bunch of Windows programs on CD's. Here is my question. I'm going to do my best to word this. Is it possible that i can either work or recompile the programs to run under RH Linux 8?? I mean i want to work and do something with those programs so it could run under both or more OS's. Do you guys know anything about doing this and would help me?? Please reply back. Thank You very much guys for all your help.

Re:No sound in RH8??

Hello,
    Here is link of programs that is a list of mswindows equivilents:
    http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/
    i personally think it does not make much snese to to be running mswindows based programs under linux - with a few exceptions they are not as good IMO.

as for recompiling them under linux - that would be quite difficult because most ms windows programs are closed source.

Re:No sound in RH8??

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=1;threadid=7733;start=#msg70742 date=1063751973]
    Here is a good question for you guys. I thought maybe you guys could help me a little. I know Windows programs will not run under any Linux distro. I have a bunch of Windows programs on CD's. Here is my question. I'm going to do my best to word this. Is it possible that i can either work or recompile the programs to run under RH Linux 8?? I mean i want to work and do something with those programs so it could run under both or more OS's. Do you guys know anything about doing this and would help me?? Please reply back. Thank You very much guys for all your help.
    [/quote]

Not unless you are a heck of a coder, and have resources the size of Microsoft to back you up.

Paul's link is quite good for getting softwares that matches Windows'. Also, as I mentioned before, check on http://freshmeat.net
    Cheers.

Re:Using Windows software under Linux

If you really must run M$ programs, checkout Wine, which will let you run several Windows apps on Linux.

But I would recommend looking for OS replacements and avoiding all things Redmond.

cga: Where can i download Wine from?? It has to be for free because i have no way of paying online because i don't have a credit card. Do you have a download website?? Please reply back. Thanks.

dsantamassino:
    a quick google search would have led you to the wine site, which is here, which contains a download page, and plenty of information that can help you get wine installed, and setup.

Also, I agree with cga, trickster, and pbharris. You should try and find a Linux equivalent to your Windows programs.

-Stuart

Actually i'm not going to download it because i was reading the instruction and there is no way in hell i could get it to install or unless you want to walk me through it if not then i'm going to forget about tar.gz files. I hardly know my way around Linux. It took me more then 1 year to get my modem configured in Linux. It took me total of 3 sites i went too about 1,000 or more postes total to get it working so there is no way i could install Wine. Hope that helps. I'm not being rude i just don't know how to do it.

Mentor

So because it will be hard you're not even going to try is what you're saying? If you want to learn anything then read some help files, go through them step by step, and actually try to do things. You wont get any where if you give up
    CP

CP: Will you help me if i download it?? Please reply back.

Mentor

Yes I will help you, but only if you read the help files as well. I wont tell you exactly how to install it, I will help you with your problems.
    CP