Thread: Future Linux Support/Hinderance

Future Linux Support/Hinderance

While I was on one of my new favorite sites today (http://www.boycott-riaa.com) I came across an article that brought up the DRM (Digital Rights Management) issue again. And it got me thinking that of course Microsoft will take up and incorporate DRM into its products, if not the OS itself. So where would that leave Linux? Would Linus be "forced" to incorporate DRM into the kernel? Will open source develpoers be "forced" to comply? (Implosible, I would suggest)

So lets say that the Linux community doens't "have" to comply. That means that all of the people who are sick of DRM in their software/OS may end up turning to Linux. I'm thinking that it would be a good thing.

On the other hand if somehow the Linux community had to comply... That could be a good thing. I can see Linux being driven underground. It could be the DOOMS DAY for Linux.

Re:Future Linux Support/Hinderance

DRM is fine - misuse of DRM, such applications as Palladium isn't.

I could imagine signing files myself, I think of DRM as a tool, and just like most other tools it can be used for both good and bad.

Palladium and derived products are all about control - where as DRM and TCPA can be used equally on both sides of the struggle.

Would we be better off without it completely - maybe, afterall we have been doing fairly okay so far.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=13;threadid=7744;start=0#msg70736 date=1063743995]
    DRM is fine - misuse of DRM, such applications as Palladium isn't.

I could imagine signing files myself, I think of DRM as a tool, and just like most other tools it can be used for both good and bad.

Palladium and derived products are all about control - where as DRM and TCPA can be used equally on both sides of the struggle.

Would we be better off without it completely - maybe, afterall we have been doing fairly okay so far.
    [/quote]

Agreed. Very well put.

i agree with LC as well. DRM is fine but abuses of it are not.