Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hopping off the Linux Bandwagon

Hopping off the Linux Bandwagon

Ive noted over the past couple of months that the lot of the Linux community has "jumped shipped" for OS's such as Mac OSX, and the BSD family. This movement appears to be in direct correlation with the rise of Linux in everyday life.

Does anyone else find that odd?

Whats with the elitist attitudes as well, Ive noted that some of these people are also spitting on Linux as if it was....XP or something.

Good Guru

Re:Hopping off the Linux Bandwagon

[quote author=coltrane link=board=13;threadid=7615;start=0#msg69624 date=1061790091]
    Whats with the elitist attitudes as well, Ive noted that some of these people are also spitting on Linux as if it was....XP or something.
    [/quote]

Thats just communist. even LindowsOS is better than XP, and Lin makes you ruun root !

I think there is a certain elitist element at play- some folks just can't stand the thought of not being able to be "special" or somehow better than the unwashed masses.

But I think that there are others who are truely attracted to the BSDs because of technical reasons and because they like UNIX.

Myself, I have to say that I am very happy with SuSE Linux, and don't forsee changing anytime soon (if ever).

[quote author=coltrane link=board=13;threadid=7615;start=0#msg69624 date=1061790091]
    Ive noted over the past couple of months that the lot of the Linux community has "jumped shipped" for OS's such as Mac OSX, and the BSD family. This movement appears to be in direct correlation with the rise of Linux in everyday life.

Does anyone else find that odd?

[/quote]

[quote author=cga link=board=13;threadid=7615;start=0#msg69633 date=1061816657]
    I think there is a certain elitist element at play- some folks just can't stand the thought of not being able to be "special" or somehow better than the unwashed masses.

But I think that there are others who are truely attracted to the BSDs because of technical reasons and because they like UNIX.
    [/quote]

Exactly. Some people are attracted to the BSD's because they are at the user-friendliness level of Linux when they started and loved things that way.

I've been on the Linux wagon, fell off, tried FreeBSD (and loved it), run Windows XP most of the time currently, but now I'm back to playing around with Linux again. It's sort of like marriage...

Im not saying that its bad to check out the BSDs, hell MINGUS is running FreeBSD 5.1 right now. But it just irritates me to see BSD guys who used to be Linux Zealots dog Linux because of all the gui tools that have been added on....its all about choice, structure, and stability IMHO

I think you mean to say that it is not bad to check out BSD. I agree.

And yes, it bugs me that people start to trash Linux for becoming more friendly and usable for "average" users. Just look up what Linus has to say about the subject. I can't say it better than he does.

As far as I am concerned, people have the freedom to choose their OS and to choose how they want that OS to work. In fact, if you've read my posts of late, you'll know that I've been experimenting with "old school" and newer, KDE-type stuff, and that I have good things to say about both approaches; it just depends on what the user wants.

Anyone who takes an extream approach, or who claims that their way is the Right Way, is just being an ass.

[quote author=coltrane link=board=13;threadid=7615;start=0#msg69652 date=1061859044]
    Im saying that its bad to check out the BSDs, hell MINGUS is running FreeBSD 5.1 right now. But it just irritates me to see BSD guys who used to be Linux Zealots dog Linux because of all the gui tools that have been added on....its all about choice, structure, and stability IMHO
    [/quote]

Kind Mastermind

Hmmm...I'm sure some of it is related to elitism and some is just related to ignorance. Some people want to be on the so-called cutting edge and maybe they think that the BSD's have that edge. Some think that the SCO incident is making such that they should check out other options.

I've been thinking about putting OpenBSD on my AlphaStation. Not because OBSD is cool or I'm trying to be elite, it's just that OBSD has more of what I want out of the box. Yes, I could easily enough configure Debian to do everything that OBSD does, it's just that I don't really want to mess with the OS, I want to mess with the programs that will make the computer do what I want it to do. That would be more rewarding to me.

Strangely enough (well, not really, what with all the worms/virii/trojans/etc plaguing M$ products), once I get my net connection this week, I'm going to update the crap out of my Debian install so that I can use Linux more often. I'm still dual-booting between XP and Debian, but I'm beginning to use Debian almost all the time now. Maybe I'll try the SELinux updates to Woody. Who knows? At least Linux will be less likely to be infected when I'm connected to the net.

Cheers

Well, I guess I would consider myself an OS hobbyist who enjoys the fun (or frustration) of trying new things out. I have tinkered with a few versions of Linux and, more recently, have begun exploring FreeBSD. Overall, at least from an OS tinkerer's perspective, there is little in "userland" to differentiate Linux from FreeBSD. You typically use the same window managers/desktop environments and a wide array of the same programs. Since I have started using FreeBSD I have not had anything bad to say about Linux, in fact, I wish I had more computers (or bigger hard drives) to run a few distributions of Linux that look interesting to me (eg. Gentoo or Arch).
    FreeBSD has a few features that I like (kernel config procedures, ports etc.) but it has not "blown me away" to the point where I have no desire to explore Linux any further.
    With that said I suppose some of the SCO related stuff may have inspired some peeps to try out FBSD. Another explanation is that with the hot weather this summer, people may have deemed it more appropriate to do their computing with a deamon rather than a penguin as their OS mascot. Who knows? One of the best (and worst) things about humans is their lack of predictability (at least as individuals).

I use FreeBSD sometimes because some their design decisions make sense to me, but Linux is still the primary OS on my computers.