Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

linksys lancard??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: linksys lancard??

dox

linksys lancard??

hello guys

i installed knoppix 3.2 and i like it more then a few other distros i tried.

evrything working good exept my lancard, i looked in a list of drivers for lancards and no driver for my instant etherfast LNE100TX.

well on the floppy that came with my card there is one driver for linux and the instructions are to short and i dont understand it. the file is called tulip.c !!
    i should compile it and whatever... the instruction is for slackware 3.0 and i dont understand how? what?where?

hope anyone of you has the patience to give me a step by step instruction!!!

thanks in advance

Re:linksys lancard??

Try (as root)

modprobe tulip

if that doesn't work, try

insmod tulip.o

the module should be located in /lib/modules/<kernelversion>/kernel/drivers/net/

This may vary from system to system (this is the location on my Slackware install)

if its tulip.c i am guessing that it is not compiled. so you need to use gcc to compile it, then you need to put it in the correct location, what gaxprels said for where it goes sounds about right.
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

LOL... I just realized I didn't put all of what I meant to put the other day...

Try those commands I mentioned before you compile tulip.c

If they work, you don't need to compile it because you already have the module and it's just not being autorecognized.

If they don't work, you can still check to see if you have it by doing an "ls" on the directory I gave to see if it's available (could be it exists but isn't being loaded properly.)

Also, if you type "insmod" or "modprobe" and get the error that it doesn't exist, check /sbin and /usr/sbin for it because those directories may not be in your path...

Hope this helps (if it doesn't exist, of course you'll need to compile it as Omoshiroi said )

[edited for spelling]

yep yep, you might also have to edit your /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file and add in /sbin/modprobe tulip
    or at least thats what it is in slackware, dunnno what it is if you are using something else. because i think slackware uses the bsd init style and not the redhat init style.

the odd thing is i have never done this before, and theoretically dont know how to do it, but doing a kernel compile i was reading and it said modules go here, and i know once they are there that all you have to do is put the proper driver there and then edit rc.modules. ;D :P
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

dox

well i try gcc tulip.c but nothing happen!!! the instruction on the floppy didnt work either and no clue what to do!!!not a flame but windows is even faster and compare to some distro i must say xp pro is more stable!! so i ask u guys why evrybody say that linux is faster and more stable???so far disapponting!!! :-(

You say you tried "gcc tulip.c" and nothing happened.

Did you bother reading our replies and trying the suggestions we gave you? You didn't mention that you tried them. If you try them and they don't work, I'll help with getting it compiled, but from your comment, I'm beginning to think you don't want to try linux at all...

Linux IS more stable than windows INCLUDING XP. I have WinXP on my laptop. It was very stable in the beginning. However, it locks up and shuts itself down without warning (and no, it's not because of power management) about twice a month.

I can run linux on my laptop and it boots faster and has NEVER crashed on this system. The same holds true for other systems I own. Each has had windows at one point or another. Each has run Linux as well. Some have run OpenBSD. Of these... Windows tends to crash the most. I have had Linux crash before, but I can count the number of times it's happened since 1999 on one hand (and no, it's not 5 times.) OpenBSD has never crashed on me, but admitedly, I haven't run it much lately, so I can't make a fair assessment of it's stability... I have run it for a couple of years total.

Well, my boot-up phase takes longer in Linux, but that's my fault because I have a lot of stuff loading that doesn't need to. Stuff I'm not using. I'm just to lazy to turn it off.

However my PC running Linux has never locked up on me that I can remember, but my WinXP does it quite often.

Oh, and get this. The same games I play in Linux as to Windows run faster. I was playing Jedi Knight 2 in Linux with WineX emulation, and thought if I only had a Windows partition this would run so much better, so I made one, and installed JK2, and it ran so much crappier. I couldn't believe it. Linux was running a native Windows game better in emulation software.

So from my experience I have to give my vote to Linux. BTW gaxprels about your XP shutting down for no reason. There is a worm out there lately that does this. It attacks through port 135, so deny this port. Also check to see if you're infected by looking for msblast.exe or just msblast.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

Quote Originally Posted by dox
    well i try gcc tulip.c but nothing happen!!! the instruction on the floppy didnt work either and no clue what to do!!!not a flame but windows is even faster and compare to some distro i must say xp pro is more stable!! so i ask u guys why evrybody say that linux is faster and more stable???so far disapponting!!! :-(
    ok, keep paying $500 per windows release, which is about every two years, or take some time to learn how to optimize linux and it will never freeze or lock up or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyNet
    So from my experience I have to give my vote to Linux. BTW gaxprels about your XP shutting down for no reason. There is a worm out there lately that does this. It attacks through port 135, so deny this port. Also check to see if you're infected by looking for msblast.exe or just msblast.
    It's not the worm

It dies from normal use, not from "getting connected to the internet."
    My connection is up all the time and the worm only shuts it down when it detects an internet connection (which would be a shutdown as soon as it boots up to begin with)

I also run Kerio Personal Firewall which, like many other firewalls, lets me know which programs are trying to make outgoing connection attempts... I'm also behind a NAT router which only directs incoming requests to my linux server

Thanks for the thought though... I wasn't even thinking about the worm when I mentioned it, it's just WinXP has gotten unstable, that's all.