Thread: Directory Services

Good Guru

Directory Services

I am most lilely going to be doing a pair of PC labs (a library one and a general computer lab) and redoing them with at least linux, maybe a BSD.

To make matters fun, the idea spawned from the fact that this is for a really unwealthy school that is irritated by the slowness of 486 boxes. NFS is obviously needed. But how about directory services?

I know LDAP, NIS, NIS+ and their strengths and weaknesses. I am personally looking at either NIS, or LDAP, but anyone have experiences here and any tales to share?

The object for ALL pcs is to allow Open Office and Mozilla. I suppose that a email client like sylpheed and pine would be good too, but you get the drift. I am sure that a few algebra and other edu tools would be good. But the trend is weak shit. I am thinking of Fluxbox or IcewWM. Any really lightweight, PHB/moron usable WM reccomendation be appreciated too. I want something where I and the resident admin (instructor for the period) can have utter complete control over what apps are available. I know flux and Ice can do that.

Thanks.

Providing the bid does go thru, I will most certainly be taking photos and making a manual on how to redo the work. I can post that somewhere for y'all to check out. It looks like we will win, the other companies are pushing a $40K extra due to the idiotic fact that they wanna rewire what was wired 6 months ago. We checked it out and its in PERFECT shape.

Anyway, thanks again.
    I look forward to your thoughts.

Re:Directory Services

The Linux Journal just had like a 3 part article on LDAP. You might want to look at that if you can. I read part of the first part and it looked usefull.

Good Guru

OpenOffice, Mozilla and Sylpheed idea would be too much over killed for your 486es. Believe me, my P 233, 128 MB and IceWM barely run Mozilla and Sylpheed ( comparing to Athlon 700 of course ). I ditched the idea of running OO.o since it don't even want to run what it has effectively. This is not to say that those programs don't run but it just a tad slooooowwwww. For those who have no choice, may be it'd work. What I usually do is click on Mozilla and go get a glass of water .

Either NIS or OpenLDAP is good but OLDAP seems to be gaining more momentum ( IMHO ). I looked at it a few years ago but currently I'm away from networks for more than 6 months so I can't help you there.

Good luck with your work.

Good Guru

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=4;threadid=7716;start=0#msg70508 date=1063351086]
    The Linux Journal just had like a 3 part article on LDAP. You might want to look at that if you can. I read part of the first part and it looked usefull.
    [/quote]

Thanks, I will do.

Good Guru

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=4;threadid=7716;start=0#msg70554 date=1063506551]
    OpenOffice, Mozilla and Sylpheed idea would be too much over killed for your 486es. Believe me, my P 233, 128 MB and IceWM barely run Mozilla and Sylpheed ( comparing to Athlon 700 of course ). I ditched the idea of running OO.o since it don't even want to run what it has effectively. This is not to say that those programs don't run but it just a tad slooooowwwww. For those who have no choice, may be it'd work. What I usually do is click on Mozilla and go get a glass of water .

Either NIS or OpenLDAP is good but OLDAP seems to be gaining more momentum ( IMHO ). I looked at it a few years ago but currently I'm away from networks for more than 6 months so I can't help you there.

Good luck with your work.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the pointers. Ill see what happens with OO.o on my test machine. I figure firebird (or whatever the lightweight moz is) and sylpheed should be light enough. BUt we shall see.

And oh, yeah : The bid is ours.