Thread: What is diferent in .mp3 and .ogg?

What is diferent in .mp3 and .ogg?

Hello, its me agein. I sincereily thank you that you have gave me so good advise before , adn now I got new question.

I have .ogg and .pm3 files and I can play them both witch Xmms. Why is this becasue I thinked Xmms plays only .mp3? And what is direferent in .ogg and .mp3?

And why my Xmmx doesnt chnage the file information? I change the, for example, artist name or song name, and I sertainly save my info, but then it doesnt shove the new info? And why some flies I download shoves for example "Artistname - www.mp3sound.com - Song Title" but when I go to chnage the file info, there is nohere www.mp3sound.com. Where does it tske this text and show it?

I am sory I know I bother you with all my questions and bad englis, but I really thank you to your help.

Good Guru

Re:What is diferent in .mp3 and .ogg?

MP3 and ogg are compression algorithms for audio. Basically each take different approaches to achieve a >60MB file for one song ;D

Now here are the main differences:

Ogg is free, open source, and free as in oxygen.
    MP3 is a proprietary protocol that is generally licensed. The whole hooplah over the past is mainly for companies who want to sell applciations, Linux distros that include the MP3 decoding codecs or apps, or hardware that can play MP3's.

Ogg is a better and newer protocol that is much easier on the CPU.

Thank you to your resbonce.

But what is "compression algorithm?"

hello Kauno,
    xmms typically can play many audio types - there are different pluggins xmms can use to play different kinds of files.

ogg (aka ogg-vorbis) is an open source audio compression format. its specs are completely open and released under the gpl. it also sounds better than mp3 IMO.

mp3 files are a closed source format for audio compression, it is supposed to be licenced for use.

both ogg and mp3 are lossy compression schemes - that is some data get discarded.

for me - files that don't have a tag (something that shows up in the info section) then the file name is displayed, if there is a tag that shows up. the tag is information that get input into the file itslef.

here is a faq
    http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp

Good Guru

[quote author=Kauno-Uolevi link=board=2;threadid=7701;start=0#msg70369 date=1063044012]

[/quote]

Well I can assume I hope that you know what it means to compress. But an algorithm is a mathematical way to achieve a set goal. In the audio codec land, that means generally

A) Stripping audio ranges that the human ear cannot hear

B) Finding patterns and, varying strength depending on the creator's choice and preference, aggressively compress.

C) Invoke methods of positioning (knowing that you are at the fifteenth second in, or X audio frames in, etc).

As for compression with audio, if you are familiar with zip, gzip, bzip, rar compressions, it is SIMILAR, not the same, but similar in concept to those.

[quote author=Kauno-Uolevi link=board=2;threadid=7701;start=0#msg70369 date=1063044012]

[/quote]

I would recommend if you are interested in learning about this look up - www.dspguide.com
    They have one of the better books about DSP technics freely available. Lots of charts and diagrams showing the math and very little actual math involved - great for understanding why and how.

I warn you DSP is very hard stuff to learn - at least I think so.

Good Guru

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=2;threadid=7701;start=0#msg70374 date=1063048306]
    I warn you DSP is very hard stuff to learn - at least I think so.
    [/quote]

Well, the basics aren't, but to truly understand the ins and outs is a true bitch. I agree on that part. I spent 3 or 4 weeks at ITT on that very topic. It was not the best test for any one there...

Ok thanks you to all this grate info. I will also say I am sorry I haven't readed and responded more early becasue I have had proplems wiht my computer softwear.

I still have one of my old proplems. When I edit a song info and change the artist and song name and save my change's, some songs do change the info, but sdome other songs still showe the old info. Why?

It depends on what software you are using and what are you doing to change the information.

[quote author=trickster link=board=2;threadid=7701;start=0#msg71840 date=1065200741]
    It depends on what software you are using and what are you doing to change the information.
    [/quote]
    I just use Xmms to change the info.

EDIT: Fixed quote.