Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to propose?

When to propose?

I've been dating my gf for five months and we've started to talk about marriage. I don't plan to get married right away but I am just considering it.

So my question is after how long did you propose to your wife or why do you think is the right time to get engaged?

Thanks

Re:When to propose?

I lived with my wife for almost 8 years before proposing...

That being said, I think a few months is waaay to early. Shack up together and try it out - you'd be suprised at what you don't know about someone until you live with them for a while.

As for knowing whether this is the person to marry - when you wake up and realize that you wouldn't want to live without them, thats a good indicator. When you still feel that way after having a massive fight/argument, then you *know*.

Mentor

[quote author=ph34r link=board=14;threadid=7652;start=0#msg69821 date=1062181553]
    I lived with my wife for almost 8 years before proposing...

As for knowing whether this is the person to marry - when you wake up and realize that you wouldn't want to live without them, thats a good indicator. When you still feel that way after having a massive fight/argument, then you *know*.
    [/quote]

I couldnt agree more.

I dated my wife for 4 years before i proposed.

5 months is waaaaay too soon.

Kind Mastermind

I knew my wife for approximately four months before I proposed and seven months or so before we got married. While I don't necessarily agree with shacking up, ph34r is right when it comes to knowing if she is the one (which is if you still love her and want to be around her after you've had a huge fight). Marriage is a huge step but one I whole-heartedly endorse. Heck, my wife is the best thing to happen to me. She has produced four beautiful miracles from God, just for me. Can't beat that. Plus, unlike my goofy self, she gets more beautiful with each passing anniversary (we've had six of them so far).

Good luck.

Cheers

Ahh, gmoreno, I have been wondering this recently as well. The gal I am currently seeing I have dated before, and I have known her for a few years. We have talked about marriage, and about me being the Dad to the child that she has (the real father won't be around). I am planning on proposing in ten months. Like stryder, I don't particularly agree with living with her before we are married, but I will be spending a good deal of time with her (Taking care of our daughter while she is working, and staying for a bit when she gets home) I know that she is "the one" because we have gone through some _really_ rough and we still love each other. I mean, heck, I haven't even seen the baby yet, and I love her! Anyway, that was my two cents. The best of luck to you.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=stuart link=board=14;threadid=7652;start=0#msg69828 date=1062184476]
    Ahh, gmoreno, I have been wondering this recently as well. The gal I am currently seeing I have dated before, and I have known her for a few years. We have talked about marriage, and about me being the Dad to the child that she has (the real father won't be around). I am planning on proposing in ten months. Like stryder, I don't particularly agree with living with her before we are married, but I will be spending a good deal of time with her (Taking care of our daughter while she is working, and staying for a bit when she gets home) I know that she is "the one" because we have gone through some _really_ rough and we still love each other. I mean, heck, I haven't even seen the baby yet, and I love her! Anyway, that was my two cents. The best of luck to you.
    [/quote]

My son is from my wife's previous relationship. Talk about interesting. It's pretty cool when they call you Daddy for the first time. I'm the only Daddy he's ever known. I am one lucky man, I can tell you (even though we've gone through a lot of crap together). So, are you waiting until you turn 18 or something? I'm just curious, you don't have to answer if you don't want to. Anyway, marriage and family are two of the greatest things that have happened to me, period.

welll....

my wife got pregant about 4 months after we met. (i, like bullgooselooney, can get a telephone pole pregnat just by looking at it).

we got married about 4 months after my first daughter was born, married 7 years yesterday

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=pbharris link=board=14;threadid=7652;start=0#msg69831 date=1062186211]
    welll....

my wife got pregant about 4 months after we met. (i, like bullgooselooney, can get a telephone pole pregnat just by looking at it).

we got married about 4 months after my first daughter was born, married 7 years yesterday
    [/quote]

Sadly, I too am in the unfortunate catagory that pbharris and bullgooselooney are in. BTW, happy anniversary PB. We had our sixth one in early July. Ain't marriage great?

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=14;threadid=7652;start=0#msg69830 date=1062186041]
    [quote author=stuart link=board=14;threadid=7652;start=0#msg69828 date=1062184476]
    [/quote]

My son is from my wife's previous relationship. Talk about interesting. It's pretty cool when they call you Daddy for the first time. I'm the only Daddy he's ever known. I am one lucky man, I can tell you (even though we've gone through a lot of crap together). So, are you waiting until you turn 18 or something? I'm just curious, you don't have to answer if you don't want to. Anyway, marriage and family are two of the greatest things that have happened to me, period.
    [/quote]
    I can't wait until she calls me Daddy! And yes, that is exactly it. I turn 18 next year I don't mind you asking at all. I can hardly wait until I get married and have a family. I'm going to be the new baby making king!

My Wife and I got married 2 years after living together. Which brings to me to a point, find out if you can live with the person before you get married. BTW, our 1 year anniversary was June.

Ender: If you see this, happy 1 year anniversary!!! Hope you two are doing very well.