Thread: Kernel Q

Kind Mastermind

Kernel Q

Is there a kernel source code that you could download that only has your particular processor's code in it (such as only DEC Alpha or x86 code)? If not, is it wise to go through the code manually and just delete the mips, ppc, sparc, etc code? I'm just wanting to strip down the source code so that it doesn't take up too much space, but since I'm still not very good with compiling the kernel and what not I'm just not sure that it is a good idea to do so. Any thoughts?

Re:Kernel Q

hi stryder,
    as far as i am aware the source for all processors is distributed with the main source code - as far as removing stuff you don't need i think that would be tough and not net you very much, the kernel components (e.g. networking, firewall, sound, etc...) take up the most space.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=pbharris link=board=12;threadid=7662;start=0#msg69898 date=1062258187]
    hi stryder,
    as far as i am aware the source for all processors is distributed with the main source code - as far as removing stuff you don't need i think that would be tough and not net you very much, the kernel components (e.g. networking, firewall, sound, etc...) take up the most space.
    [/quote]

That's what I was afraid of. Oh, well. It's not like the source code takes up all that much space. I was just trying to find areas where I could conserve a little bit of space. Thanks man!

Cheers

What you could do is to remove the unpacked source tree altogether after you're done compiling (and probably just leave the tar ball there) and install the kernel header files only. That way you can still compile other software that needs the kernel headers but you don't have the almost 200MB of the complete source tree hanging around on your disk.

Oh, you might want to save the /usr/src/linux/.config file, though.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=demian link=board=12;threadid=7662;start=0#msg69901 date=1062259363]
    What you could do is to remove the unpacked source tree altogether after you're done compiling (and probably just leave the tar ball there) and install the kernel header files only. That way you can still compile other software that needs the kernel headers but you don't have the almost 200MB of the complete source tree hanging around on your disk.

Oh, you might want to save the /usr/src/linux/.config file, though.
    [/quote]

Sounds like a good suggestion. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Cheers

also there is the arch directory where you can delete everything but your arch, prolly i386. it'll save you a good 30MB