Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: virus forum??

virus forum??

Is this the place to talk about a virus?? If not please move it to someone else. Well let me tell you guys something. I had Windows XP pro running on my computer. I took it off and try to run the sys C: and format C: commands and there were both invalid. So my Uncle gave me a suggestion by trying to run Windows XP home. I am running that right now. When i put in a disc that has the commands on it and while Windows XP home is on my hard drive the sys C: commands works. system transfer. When i take home off of my computer. Make partitions using fdisk and all that and then run sys C:. I get invalid. I never got that until i got that virus with pro. I want to use pro not home. I do not have any programs that will scan virus or my hard drive. Can someone please help me getting XP pro and my commands up running again?? Please reply back. Thanks. oh i'm not doing nothing with multiple OS's until i get virus out.

Kind Mastermind

Re:virus forum??

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=14;threadid=7641;start=0#msg69782 date=1062102331]
    Is this the place to talk about a virus?? If not please move it to someone else. Well let me tell you guys something. I had Windows XP pro running on my computer. I took it off and try to run the sys C: and format C: commands and there were both invalid. So my Uncle gave me a suggestion by trying to run Windows XP home. I am running that right now. When i put in a disc that has the commands on it and while Windows XP home is on my hard drive the sys C: commands works. system transfer. When i take home off of my computer. Make partitions using fdisk and all that and then run sys C:. I get invalid. I never got that until i got that virus with pro. I want to use pro not home. I do not have any programs that will scan virus or my hard drive. Can someone please help me getting XP pro and my commands up running again?? Please reply back. Thanks. oh i'm not doing nothing with multiple OS's until i get virus out.
    [/quote]

Well, go to grisoft.com and d/l avg personal. It's an anti-virus program. Run a full scan of your system. Then, try logging onto windowsupdate.com and d/l whatever patches they have (I assume you've already done that, but I think you need to get rid of your virus first before the patches will work correctly). I hope that this is helpful.

Cheers

This is the site i went to http://www.grisoft.com and i did not see anything on d/l avg personal. Do i need to run the virus program on the OS that i have the virus on?? If i do that means i have to put it on my C: drive without formatting the drive and that screws everything up on my part. Windows XP home automatically partitions the drive for you. Where XP pro you have to manually make your partitions and format them. That's why i don't want to run pro without formatting my drive. I hope that explains a little more about it. Please reply back. Thanks.

I don't know guys. This virus and the invalid commands is really killing me. XP pro is better then XP home. I have no choice but to use home right now since i can't use the sys and format commands to install pro. Is there someone that could help with that?? Please reply back and someone help. Thanks guys.

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=25;threadid=7641;start=0#msg69782 date=1062102331]
    Is this the place to talk about a virus?? If not please move it to someone else. Well let me tell you guys something. I had Windows XP pro running on my computer. I took it off [/quote]

How did you "took it off"?

and try to run the sys C: and format C: commands and there were both invalid.
    Where were you trying to run this?

So my Uncle gave me a suggestion by trying to run Windows XP home. I am running that right now. When i put in a disc that has the commands on it
    What do you mean? What disc?

and while Windows XP home is on my hard drive the sys C: commands works. system transfer. When i take home off of my computer. Make partitions using fdisk and all that and then run sys C:. I get invalid. I never got that until i got that virus with pro.
    What makes you think you got a virus?

I want to use pro not home. I do not have any programs that will scan virus or my hard drive. Can someone please help me getting XP pro and my commands up running again?? Please reply back. Thanks. oh i'm not doing nothing with multiple OS's until i get virus out.
    You should be able to boot up to the Windows cd, and tell it to erase all partitions and create new ones. You DO NOT have any need to do Format C: . Windows will do it for you.

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=25;threadid=7641;start=0#msg69786 date=1062114045]
    This is the site i went to http://www.grisoft.com and i did not see anything on d/l avg personal. Do i need to run the virus program on the OS that i have the virus on?? If i do that means i have to put it on my C: drive without formatting the drive and that screws everything up on my part. Windows XP home automatically partitions the drive for you. Where XP pro you have to manually make your partitions and format them. That's why i don't want to run pro without formatting my drive. I hope that explains a little more about it. Please reply back. Thanks.
    [/quote]

Get the free version here:
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Follow the instructions here or here for installation.

You might want to go to this symantec link and using their network virus detection. Click the graphic "Check for Security Risks", and choose "Virus Detection". This will scan your system for any virus in their definitions (In other words, all of them) It will tell you what you have, and what to do to fix it.

I took pro off of my computer by deleteing the partitions. I was trying to run the commands off of Windows 98 SE boot disc. This is what i might think that i got a virus because when i was running XP pro it was restarting the computer by itself. My Uncle said it did the samething for him too. It restart automatically. Well i like to set up and format my partitions manually. XP pro allows you to do that. XP home does not. It will automatically install it to the C: drive. XP pro i could choose what drive to put it on. Hope that helps. Please reply back trickster. Thanks.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=25;threadid=7641;start=0#msg69800 date=1062147258]
    I took pro off of my computer by deleteing the partitions. I was trying to run the commands off of Windows 98 SE boot disc. This is what i might think that i got a virus because when i was running XP pro it was restarting the computer by itself. My Uncle said it did the samething for him too. It restart automatically. Well i like to set up and format my partitions manually. XP pro allows you to do that. XP home does not. It will automatically install it to the C: drive. XP pro i could choose what drive to put it on. Hope that helps. Please reply back trickster. Thanks.
    [/quote]

I am going to assume that you have the WinXP Pro install disc. When you put it in the cdrom drive do you get errors such that you can not install XP Pro? A clean install of XP Pro will get rid of your virus problem the same way that XP Home did. Before you try to install XP Pro again, go to Microsoft's website and download the blaster security patch. Once you burn the patch to disc, go ahead and reinstall XP Pro. Once XP Pro is safely on your computer, run the blaster patch install file. Doing so should make it such that you won't have too many more problems. Download the anti-virus program that trickster provided a link for and install before you try updating your computer. Once you have it installed, download all of the various security patches, critical updates, driver updates, etc from windowsupdate.com. You should be relatively safe after that. If you want to add another level of safety, go to www.zonelabs.com and download their free firewall. It can block all of the ports that are open from being successfully probed.

Cheers

This article might give you a couple of suggestions for protecting your XP machine.