Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Microsoft: IM Party's Over
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft: IM Party's Over

Hybrid View

Re:Microsoft: IM Party's Over

This hurts me on a very personal level. It really does. With me off at school and now my brother has left the nest as well, all my family and old friends from back home are on MSN. I have about 12 people I regularly catch up with on my list. I know there's no way I'll get them to install a jabber client. Maybe I can convert them to trillian, if it's still allowed on (maybe since they might be able to afford a license).

MS has seriously fucked a bunch of people here. Dirty play.

I remember maybe last year, they were fighting with AOL when they was blocking MSN messenger from connecting with AIM. Now they turn the tables!

This is just another way to help get rid of Microsoft in my daily life. My girlfriend will be using Linux, and we will both switch to Jabber, and ditch our hotmail accounts. They sure as hell won't hear from me again.

M$ has not yet "gotten" that they can't really do this crap and have impunity anymore. Too many people are on to them and will be likely to switch if it causes them too much trouble to stay in touch with friends and family.

Go ahead, Bill; shoot yourself in the foot.

Mentor

AIM is free, so is yahoo. I'll never understand why they would do something like that

I dont care i didnt use it anyway ;D ;D ;D

i've found AIM to be much more popular. rarely do i know someone who has MSN but not aim. yahoo is rare too. but maybe thats just my circle of contacts.

trying to be concerned about this....move to AIM and YAH and you remain ok...if they make the same noise then move to Jabber, if Jabber creates a mess then we create our own #@(*$ protocol.

MSN is real popular in Japan (and as a result among japanese students studying in american (elsewhere too?) colleges.)

I'm not worried though, I suspect it won't be very long at all before one of the linux clients works.

[quote author=coltrane link=board=13;threadid=7629;start=0#msg69987 date=1062378736]
    trying to be concerned about this....move to AIM and YAH and you remain ok...if they make the same noise then move to Jabber, if Jabber creates a mess then we create our own #@(*$ protocol.
    [/quote]

jabber pretty much is our own #@(*$ protocol...
    it's open source and anyone can run a server. technologically i'd say it's probably the best. but the reason i don't use it is because even if it's technologically perfect, it's useless if i can only talk to myself.

chicken and the egg problem.