Thread: How much would you charge for a software install

Good Guru

How much would you charge for a software install

Well, a friend of mine asked me that his friend wanted someone to help him install a MySQL server on his co-located FreeBSD box.

I will need to remotely log on to the server and set up MySQL for that guy. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too bad since I've done that on my Debian box and I have a working knowledge of FreeBSD from my test box at home too.

When I was installing software, I've never timed it on how long it took and stuff since I usually go out if things got too complicated and came back from coffee shop then I would continue doing it.

So here is my question to you guys.

If someone were to ask you to install MySQL on his/her box, how much would you charge? I'm talking about US dollars currency.

TIA

Re:How much would you charge for a software install

I charge $50/hr for anything I do... rather cheap, especially when you consider that I do house calls, etc.

[quote author=ph34r link=board=14;threadid=7616;start=0#msg69634 date=1061820257]
    I charge $50/hr for anything I do... rather cheap, especially when you consider that I do house calls, etc.
    [/quote]

That is just begging for a sex related smartass remark..

but I normally charge 50 bucks in total for most things I do (normally regular PC fixing - replacing memory, installing Winblows, etc.) I tend to work on a system of favors instead - fx. one of "regulars" is a hairdresser and she's a good friend of mine so I get part of my payment by getting my hair cut. I'm not in it to make money as such, I also pick up spare parts from machines I fix from say upgrades and build machines out of them for less fortunate people.

Good Guru

[quote author=ph34r link=board=14;threadid=7616;start=0#msg69634 date=1061820257]
    [/quote]

Try this instead.

(Minimum of 1/2 hour charge)

60/hr for anything technical.
    30 each time you mofiy a system service or change teh operation of the machine (on top of the 60)
    1.5x For weekends
    3x For Holidays

And then setup a preferred plan, where you can do remote logins for maintenance and support. I forget what my contracting firm charges for the last one, but it isnt cheap. Remember, that they are paying your bills, insurance, and your social life. Figure also that you arent going to get paid for at minimum 90 days, if ever. Generally you invoice them a few days later (officially) and then they have 30 days to pay. Figuring in this day and age, people are generally late, 45 days isnt too far of a stretch for the bulk. Some are going to need collections, others pay the instant they get the bill (Quickbooks is great for handling checks -- the better customers have this, trust me).

So thats what I would reccomend. I got a price sheet in my truck. I can take a look. For friends, a little trick I use is this :

Write up the invoice for full price. Show them that. Ask for 1/4 if it was easy for you and some free beer at the bar, and go out for darts or Golden Tee. Charging 30 bucks and some beer isnt that bad if they were to pay 120 for the work. Plus if you go golfing and such, that 30 bucks doesnt last long. Even with county cards, thats like the game and a Pepsi ;D

HTH