Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTP Server config help

FTP Server config help

Hi,

I'm setting up ProFTPd on my Mandy box just for a way to transfer files from school to my house or what have you. Anyway, I got it setup and semi-configured (I say semi because soemthings not working quite right).

Anyway, I'll try to log on as root from the client - and itll crap out on me because it rejects my correct password.

I was wondering, since I'm new to this, what kind of configurations are neccessary for me to be able to login as root? What groups (if any) does root need to belong to?

Thanks!

Good Guru

Re:FTP Server config help

Greets!

Why root? That isn't the safest thing to do. Either use an existing (non-root) user or create (better idea) a specific user for recieving the uploads. The files will go to the users' home directory, unless configured otherwise.

ProFTP is a great FTP tool. You will enjoy using it, I am sure.

Thanks, does this new user need to be in any kind of groups?

nevermind, thanks for the help anyway - My dad doesnt want me to set up my linux box as a DmZ or using port forwarding. Figures. Damn Win2k user.

Good Guru

dont need to.

Just amke a user with no login capabilities and only can access their home dir. That way if the ftp account is hacked, losses are limited. Then just allow ftp on that one user. Then when you wanna ftp, just use that login/pw and the files can be moved from there or to there. No DMZ is really needed.

err...

I think there was a communication error.
    I meant the DmZ for my LinkSyS router.

[quote author=Bobby link=board=4;threadid=7562;start=0#msg69312 date=1061065426]
    err...

I think there was a communication error.
    I meant the DmZ for my LinkSyS router.
    [/quote]

I don't know about LinkSys routers but my D-Link wireless router has port forwarding capabilities and DMZ is not needed to run FTP (or for that matter, any other service through a port). You simply declare that Port 21 is open for business on whichever machine is hosting FTP.

Also, I agree with the comment about root login. There's no reason to do that. I found the proftpd.conf file a little befuddling at first. It's easier to plagerize an existing example (there's one a proftd.org).

Good Guru

You don't need to put your Linux box in DMZ if you are only doing a few services. But if you want bi-directional services, then you will need to put that in DMZ.

For example, if you want your Linux box to be serving web pages at the same time you want to be able to log in via SSH, then you will need to put the box in DMZ so that there is no restricted data flow. ( at least that's what it is with 3COM routers ).

HTH ..

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=4;threadid=7562;start=0#msg69630 date=1061797192]
    For example, if you want your Linux box to be serving web pages at the same time you want to be able to log in via SSH, then you will need to put the box in DMZ so that there is no restricted data flow. ( at least that's what it is with 3COM routers ).
    [/quote]
    My D-Link wireless router can handle mutliple services (SSH, FTP, Web, etc.) all through port-forwarding without DMZ. I don't know if there's restricted data flow but I don't know why that would be the case.

Before I bought my D-Link router, I used to use a FreeBSD box as the gateway/router. Using firewall rules, NAT, and IPFW, I had no problems running multiple services for things like Web hosting, FTP, IPSec, and SSH. I would think most good routers could do the same thing.

I have heard that some games need to run through DMZ but I play Hardwood Hearts often on the Web without DMZ and without any problems.

But, I don't have any experience with other routers so maybe DMZ is required on some of them.

Good Guru

[quote author=Coral Sea link=board=4;threadid=7562;start=0#msg69635 date=1061820873]

But, I don't have any experience with other routers so maybe DMZ is required on some of them.
    [/quote]

NetGear has an option for that. But doesnt (at least my model didn't) require anything really to be on other than the features you want. I have to say, having a DMZ is not a bad idea at all. With the worms/virii/assholes out there that are looking to anally rape my network - I want all of the steel underwear I can get.