Thread: Server Questions

Kind Mastermind

Server Questions

I am almost ready to put together my AlphaStation system (I just needed a few extra cables which should be here by the end of the month or so). I am going to set my AS 200 4/233 up as possibly a mail/web/firewall/mp3 server. Does anyone know of any way that I can get fetchmail to access Hotmail (similar to YahooPops capabilities)? My wife is not very receptive to the idea of moving to another email service, so I want to find a program that will allow me to use my Alpha to download her email to the computer, run it through a spam filter (I'm thinking that SpamAssassin will be the filter of choice), and present it to her via whatever mta she wants to use (please don't say Outlook Express, please!). She doesn't like the spam and I want to be able to set up an Open Source solution to impress her with (can you say extra points, cha-ching!).

I have only recently begun to look for such a solution. Unfortunately, until my ISP gets around to actually giving me the modem I need and turning the service on, I am stuck going to the library for my internet fix. They only allow you a relatively short amount of time per session . Anyway.

Hopefully by the end of September I will have my system up and running with 5 4.3gig SCSI-2 drives providing me with all of the fun my little heart desires. How sad it is to have soooo much time and sooooo little to do. I pray that I can win this last auction and get the stuff mailed to me (being here has made it a bit harder to get the external scsi cable I need for my external scsi case and the null-modem cable I need in order to communicate with the AS200. Soon, soon I tell you! Awe, Pinky, do not cower in the corner like that!).

Cheers

Re:Server Questions

From what I hear you cannot use hotmail with anything other than a web browser, I could be wrong (there are odd convertion programs out there, but I don't think any that work with Linux) I imagine if you connect to your hotmail webmail and `netstat` and see what your connected to you MIGHT find the server name (sincere doubt) and then you can connect to that on 110... but that is so far fetched I doubt it would work, worth a check though.

Good Guru

Well, Fear not.

For Hotmail, go get GotMail or HTTPMail.

Some people swear by GotMail and I've had success about a year ago or so.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=4;threadid=7593;start=0#msg69503 date=1061445035]
    Well, Fear not.

For Hotmail, go get GotMail or HTTPMail.

Some people swear by GotMail and I've had success about a year ago or so.
    [/quote]

Sweet, thanks man. I'll check them both out. Now, if only I could just get rid of my virus trap (XP). This is a great first step, though. I'm very happy now. Thanks again.

Cheers