Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound - Mandrake 9.1

Sound - Mandrake 9.1

Hi,

I have this one machine, a 466 celeron that has some onboard soundcard that used to work - until my friend broke it somehow (think he stepped on a powerbar, shut off my computer and sent a surge or something). Anyway, the darn card hasnt been working. After checking the BIOS and jumpers just to make sure I didn't miss something idiotic, I decided to put another sound card into the machine. I looked around in my basement, found some old ISA card that Ive used in a fair amount of computers (so I know it works). However, Mandrake isn't recognizing it. Is there any special actions I need to take in order to setup this sound card? I'm completely unfamiliar with this process.

Thx.

Re:Sound - Mandrake 9.1

ah - kicking it old school. there should be a utility called sndconfig, if not then you will need to set up isapnp - type pnpdump and see what pops out.

here is the man page:
    http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isap...pnpdump.8.html

what i used to do is type pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf and edit the file /etc/isapnp.conf to make it such that the irq and I/O address were what tehy were supposed to be.

Good Guru

[quote author=pbharris link=board=2;threadid=7576;start=0#msg69411 date=1061263553]
    there should be a utility called sndconfig,
    [/quote]

Ahh, and there is. Mandrake uses the Red Hat sound config tool. I am not sure if it is the same path, but it is like /usr/sbin/sndconfig

sndconfig isn't there. Infact I did a file search of my whole hdd, nothing there. is this an app i have to download and install?

Good Guru

recheck the install disks. Its there. Just not a default rpm. Red Hat is the same way. You gotta do an individual packge selection during the install to see it. No big deal ...

I have no idea what CD its on though.

i thought there was also a utility called harddrake...

There is.

I also found a utility called drakesound - and i installed the correct driver (i think)

However...

Now when I plug in my speakers to that port, the computer turns off. Or if i plug it into another different port, the computer turns right back on...Whats up with this?

well i would say thats a problem.

[me=pbharris]waits to get slapped for making an incredibly obvious observation[/me]

anywho - check all of the electrical connections and try moving the card to another slot if possible.

Mentor

If you actually knew how to do it you could have a lot of fun on a friends PC with that

[quote author=pbharris link=board=2;threadid=7576;start=0#msg69444 date=1061336607]
    well i would say thats a problem.
    [me=pbharris]waits to get slapped for making an incredibly obvious observation[/me]
    [/quote]

*slap!* lol ;D

[quote author=CP link=board=2;threadid=7576;start=0#msg69447 date=1061347868]
    If you actually knew how to do it you could have a lot of fun on a friends PC with that
    [/quote]

Yeah all I need to do is plug it in and blamo, reboot. Doesn't matter if im booted into linux or if im still at post. I'm wondering if its my speakers, but these speakers worked with this same PC and same soundcard before.

As of now, I'm trying to find a way to make a new empty slot (its one of those cases where 4 slots, 2 PCI, 2 ISA and where only 3 cards can be used....and right now I'm unsure how i could move my PCI devices.