Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: multiple dual boot??

Hybrid View

multiple dual boot??

Hi guys. First before we get to my questions. I'm not on my computer. I'm on my Uncle's computer from out of state from where i live. I got a virus on my computer. After i get rid of the virus. I want to multiple dual boot with MS-DOS 6.22, Windows XP pro and Redhat Linux 8. I don't know could linux run under FAT16 and how to run it under FAT16. MS-DOS 6.22 only runs under FAT16 and nothing else. Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to step it up?? yes trickster i got a PCI modem with intel chipset and no it's not a winmodem. So it should work under linux. Please reply back. Thanks.

Re:multiple dual boot??

1. Wrong forum.
    2. What?!?!

I really don't understand your question. multiple dual boot ??? You mean like nested bootloaders or something? Run Linux under FAT16 ??? Why would you want to set up linux on a fat16 partition?

Now as far as running linux under FAT 16, I have no freakin clue. It's probably possible, but I don't know that you'd want to.

A tri-boot is quite possible indeed. What you'll probably want to do is partition your hard drive into a few partitions. Make partition 1 and 2 your XP and Linux partitions (NTFS and ReiserFS respectively, though ext3 will also do nicely for linux), partition 3 your FAT16 partitions, and have partition 4 as an extended partition. On your extended partition, make sure you have a partition to mount at /boot and another for swap space. Put on XP and DOS first, then put on RedHat. While you're installing GRUB during the RedHat install you'll be given the chance to configure other boot options (ie, make XP and DOS accessible). Reply to this if you need more detail.

I seem to be answering this partitioning question a lot of late. Is there no PET on the issue?

I'm not sure Linux would run under FAT16. Doesn't the filesystem in and of itself handle permissions? At least thats the way I understood it, and as far as I know FAT16 has no way of handling permissions. Unless that is just how NTFS works.. I don't know I could just be talking out of my arse too! :-\

Good Guru

I am having a brain fart, but are your REALLY intending to run linux on the MS filesystem ?? Not good. Slow is the name, and irritations are the game. You get all of the worst parts of MS-FAT, and none of the benefits of ext2/3 !!

As soon as I recall the install option, I will tell ya ... ITs not that hard to do, it is that hard to USE!

Good Guru

Ich bin ein Dummkopf.

Easy, sortof. The bitch is getting MSDOS to live with XP. What would be easiest is using 2 or more drives. The trick is getting XP not to see DOS when you install it. Or use a boot disk ..

The installation order I would use, is

DOS
    XP
    Linux (important to be LAST!! )

Let linux ahndle the bootloader.

Now, the reason I said 2 drives would be easiest, is you can disable the DOS drive when XP is getting installed (unplug power cord). A trick I have not tested, but did think of, is to install XP first, then leaving enuf space for DOS, partition the XP as NTFS, and DOS as FAT16/32. Then whatever you feel like doing with linux last.

Dont ignore my first post. That does have merit, just not now ;D

You want to run Linux in DOS/Windows, get one like Zipslack, etc. Go to www.linux.org > distros

Then head to my site for multi-booting.

Kind Mastermind

Thanks to the vagrities of various and sundry OSes, you must put DOS on the first partition (it doesn't play well when placed elsewhere). Then install XP (as long as it isn't one of those nasty system restore discs that computers come with these days. If it is, your probably hosed. Linux will then go on the last partition, as stated by others.

Now, why must you use DOS? It would only be marginally harder to set up DOS on your Linux partition (dosemu is the emulator) than trying to do a tri-boot. If you must tri-boot, consider using xosl to boot with. I think it will be able to hide DOS from XP. Very powerful program which needs to be installed to a DOS partition in order to work (which means it would work easily for you).

Anyway, good luck.

Cheers

This is how i did it. I installed MS-DOS to drive C: and Windows XP pro to drive. yes xp and dos is on fat16. Using dos floppy disks i made 1 primary partition, 1 extended partition and 2 logical drives then when i went to install RH linux i got an error when i came to make my swap. I made /boot 50MB, / 3000MB, swap was going to be 512MB. I get this error. Could not allocate requested partitions: Partitioning failed, could not allocate partitions. Could someone help me?? Please reply back. Thanks guys.

When getting ready to install Linux and partitioning b4, you don't need to make the extended partitions. Just make the ones for Windows, and leave some extra space for Linux. Since Linux doesn't use those partitions. You might boot back with the DOS disk, and remove those extra partitions, and try again.