Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

gentoo install ppc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gentoo install ppc

gentoo install ppc

i have an old style apple g3 powerbook

8 gb hard drive, 128 mb of ram, 300mhz g3 processor

i've been trying to set up gentoo for ppc on this box. i'm using gentoo ppc v.1.2 install disks, and following the instructions outlined on

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-install.xml

i get stuck at the

'#Code listing 7.1: Mounting the CD-ROM

# mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom -o ro -t iso9660'

portion of the installation process and am unable to proceed further. this is my first attempt at a gentoo ppc install. i have a few questions, if anyone's knowledgeable about this sort of thing:

is my hardware compatible? should i be using 1.2? or 1.4x?
    is there a better install guide than the one i'm using? any comments are welcome, actually.

thanks

Re:gentoo install ppc

[quote author=philosophia link=board=1;threadid=7574;start=0#msg69405 date=1061247940]
    i get stuck at the

portion of the installation process and am unable to proceed further.[/quote]

Why? What happens? Any error messages?

hello,
    setting up yellowdog was tough enough on a iMac for me, and that is made for macs. knowing the rom (new world, old world) what booter to use (bootX or the old one, i can't remember the name..) is needed, also, did you see up a control panel in macOS to boot linux?

[quote author=demian link=board=1;threadid=7574;start=0#msg69407 date=1061255748]
    [quote author=philosophia link=board=1;threadid=7574;start=0#msg69405 date=1061247940]
    i get stuck at the

portion of the installation process and am unable to proceed further.[/quote]

Why? What happens? Any error messages?
    [/quote]

yes. i am not home to get the exact error message - but it is basically 'device not found'.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=7574;start=0#msg69412 date=1061267178]
    hello,
    setting up yellowdog was tough enough on a iMac for me, and that is made for macs. knowing the rom (new world, old world) what booter to use (bootX or the old one, i can't remember the name..) is needed, also, did you see up a control panel in macOS to boot linux?
    [/quote]

i have wiped os 9 from this laptop, as i don't want to make this thing dual boot. i just want gentoo on it.

grr i have a feel curiosity is about to kill the cat as my stare at gentoo 1.4 stable. thinking of how i can have an extremely fast pc and upgrade it in a snap. *bites his lip* shitttttt

older macs use scsi for the cdrom drive. i'm not sure how devfs acts with this, but try /dev/scd0 or /dev/hdc (incase it is ide but devfs is acting bad)

welp that was a complete failure, screw it. i love slackware 9.0 and im very happy with it, im putting it back on my box for good.

no /dev/scd0 or /dev/hdc...

i've been advised, first of all, that i shouldn't be using the 1.2 disk, and that if i download the 1.4 stage3 disk optimised for g3 processor support, that the disk will mount the /cdrom drive for me......

another thing i was totally clueless about: it's a mistake wiping the os 9 partition. you need at least a minimal mac os partition to bootstrap linux...

Try dmesg|less. The output should mention your CD drive and what device file it uses. If you can't find it maybe upload the dmesg output somewhere so that we can have a look.