Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching Fully to Linux

Switching Fully to Linux

Hi all,

I'm currently running a few linux boxes and a few windows machines. Recently, I felt the desire to kill the windows machines and format to Linux. However, before I do that, I want to make sure I have all the drivers for all of my hardware. If you guys could, please tell me where I could find drivers for the following devices.

-Lexmark X5150 (This is my main concern. Ive looked, maybe not in the correct places, and i havent found drivers for it yet)
    -802.11b WiFi Card WP2000 (I bought it at some Comp show, not sure who makes it)
    -ATI Radeon 8500 (Might be 8500LE, I'm unsure)

...and I believe that is it. Thanks!

Re:Switching Fully to Linux

Your Radeon should work fine out of the box. I use a radeon 8500 on my laptop and a 7200 on my desktop and they work great.

http://www.linuxprinting.org

Best place to go for printing issues.

Thanks. What about the Lexmark x5150? Anyoen know where I can find drivers for that?

Edit: Thanks CGA - I must of posted the exact time you did or something, didnt see your link.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Bobby link=board=2;threadid=7569;start=0#msg69361 date=1061165588]
    Thanks. What about the Lexmark x5150? Anyoen know where I can find drivers for that?

Edit: Thanks CGA - I must of posted the exact time you did or something, didnt see your link.
    [/quote]

Here is your problem...you are looking at an all-in-one device. My suggestion to you is to find out which individual printer that is most like yours. Try sane/xsane for the scanning. It will be a bit of trial and error, but I'm sure you should be able to get everything up and running successfully.

Cheers

Yeah.

So, am i going to have to use the printer and scanner functions seperatly by having two different drivers?

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Bobby link=board=2;threadid=7569;start=0#msg69364 date=1061171304]
    Yeah.

So, am i going to have to use the printer and scanner functions seperatly by having two different drivers?
    [/quote]

More than likely, yes. Unless Lexmark decides to come out with some kind of unified driver for their all-in-ones, which I doubt (market is probably pretty low). It's not really a huge deal, overall. xsane/sane is fairly easy to get going, though if your system is a usb based one (which I assume it is) you might have to trouble shoot some usb related issues. Read the faq's from the sane website fully before trying to get them installed (if you don't have them installed already).

Cheers

Thanks!

Now all thats left is my WiFi card....and actually making the change..

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Bobby link=board=2;threadid=7569;start=0#msg69368 date=1061174966]
    Thanks!

Now all thats left is my WiFi card....and actually making the change..
    [/quote]

Welp, since it is a communication device, there should be an FCC number on it. Once you find it, type it in google and it should come up with who makes it (the FCC tracks such info). Once you have that info, you can see if that particular chipset is supported by Linux and how to make sure that it is usable.

Good Guru

For as much Linksys gear I have, they are going to be getting replaced ASAP. I am making it a point (and to tell the companies too) that I will not own hardware from a hardware vendor that is not pro-linux with its hardware support. That means that since Linksys is back to using non supported chipsets, they gotta go.

If you have a 802.11x card, I hope its D-Link or Netgear (or Intel, 3Com, AMD, etc) otherwise have fun. That is the one thing that is keeping some people from diving into linux quicker -- asshole vendors.

Linksys will barely work (depending on your chipset), but from what I hear DLink and Netgear have nearly full support at worst.