Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

The Further X Windows Adventures of cga
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Further X Windows Adventures of cga

The Further X Windows Adventures of cga

Now that I am going back to work, I have decided to go back to running KDE as my primary desktop (surprise).

There are several reasons: I have a very powerful machine on which KDE runs very well; KDE looks great, and I really like to use Konqueror as my browser instead of Mozilla; I need to concentrate on the job now, not fooling around and playing uber-geek; and, damn it, I really like KDE.

But, I'm keeping my minimalist Fvwm around, so I can always switch over to it when I get the urge to go "old school".

Re:The Further X Windows Adventures of cga

You know, for someone who likes minimalist stuff as much as you do, I'm surprised you don't like Gnome more. Might be worth your while to check out 2.4 when it hits the net.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=6;threadid=7566;start=0#msg69348 date=1061142408]
    You know, for someone who likes minimalist stuff as much as you do, I'm surprised you don't like Gnome more. Might be worth your while to check out 2.4 when it hits the net.
    [/quote]

Honestly, I really have yet to "get" Gnome. I played around with the Gnome 2.2 stuff, and while it is much better than the old 1.x Gnome, I still feel that it is not as polished and smooth as KDE 3.x. It is hard to explain.

Also, I really like the KDE applications like Kate, Kmail, Konsole and especially the Konqueror web browser. And its tough to beat Krusader for a file manager, if, like me, you were a fan of Midnight Commander and the even older Norton Commander.

[quote author=cga link=board=6;threadid=7566;start=0#msg69354 date=1061148358]
    Honestly, I really have yet to "get" Gnome. I played around with the Gnome 2.2 stuff, and while it is much better than the old 1.x Gnome, I still feel that it is not as polished and smooth as KDE 3.x. It is hard to explain.
    [/quote]

Your right about KDE 3.x being more polished than GNOME 2.2. One of KDE's strengths is it's integration which makes the polished look easier than most systems. At the same time this integration makes it hard at times to chose apps to be used instead of K*.

Also, I really like the KDE applications like Kate, Kmail, Konsole and especially the Konqueror web browser. And its tough to beat Krusader for a file manager, if, like me, you were a fan of Midnight Commander and the even older Norton Commander.
    You can still run your KDE apps in GNOME (with Qt installed) and use GMC (a midnight commander clone) instead of nautilus to make GNOME more for you.

Of course, it comes down to what you like and what you tried. While GNOME has great strength in modularity KDE has great strength in integration.

Well, I have found that it is often easier to run non-KDE apps under KDE than to run KDE apps under Gnome. I run Gimp just fine in KDE, for example.

As to GMC, that is nothing like MC! Krusader is a KDE clone of MC right down to the built in FTP support.

I do very much like the integration of apps in KDE; I mean, the whole point of a DE is to have tight integration of apps and consistancy. Gnome is getting there, I just don't think it is there yet, and I really prefer qt to gtk as a GUI tool kit.

[me=Lovechild]trolls for GNOME.... [/me]

Hey, what did you expect?

Good Guru

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=6;threadid=7566;start=0#msg69374 date=1061184172]
    [me=Lovechild]trolls for GNOME.... [/me]

Hey, what did you expect?
    [/quote]

Or from me?

I dunno, GNOME just fits me best. KDE is lacking in the overall cleanliness. The one thing that kept me with GNOME in the 2.x series is the total rewrites that they are doing. And their philosophy that A) Shit code is forbidden, and B) It needs to be done right for the user is something that KDE needs. Back in GNOME 1.4, it crashed about as much as KDE from three years previous. I just liked the GNOME comminity more. Now it is more stable than KDE on any box. And this goes for just about any distro. Well, perhaps the patches to the Red Hat GNOME make it a tad bit better, but comparing Red Hat GNOME to SuSE KDE its GNOME any day.

Now I do agree (oddly, this doesnt happen much anymore) with Lovechild's assessment a few months ago - KDE is much better suited for a programmer, as GNOME for a normal user. And I do think that is where each project is ultimately heading. GNOME will be the desktop flavor for the Windows converts, where the coders will love the extended flexibility of KDE.

My personal opinions of each aside, I really would prefer the KDE team and GNOME teams merging and taking the best code subset of each, and making one fully done project. Its really sad when there are two projects out there with half of what is needed, and neither are the same half. KDE is much better at the integration game. And GNOME could teach KDE about keeping simple. But thats my rant. Feel free to unrant me with a new one. Or just feed me alot of beer to keep me quiet ;D

Although, XFCE is looking nice. As soon as I fix my box, I am gonna give that a shot. At least I can find something other than Flux for weak ass systems ;D

i disagree with the merge idea. what if linux and all the bsds merged? could be good because you'd get the good of all of them. so what about linux and beos too? what about even windows and linux?

the key is choice. they are open source so they can still share code, but they are two different projects so the user gets the chose what they want.

i don't run either of them, but i like gtk more than qt, really just because gtk is used by programs i want to use and so i reason to install gtk, i dont have reason to install qt.

Kind Mastermind

I'm partial to KDE for several reasons:

1. My daughter (Katie) thinks that the k in the left hand corner is for her. No sense in bursting her bubble, especially if makes her a future Linux convert.

2. kppp - this has always worked for me. I could never get gnome's ppp program to work right. Not to mention the fact that I have no ability to concentrate for the needed length of time in order to get it going.

3. ktubering (or whatever they are calling it now) - again, the daughter loves that program to no end. This time, though, it's a way to pacify the wife. If she sees me playing with my kids on the computer she doesn't consider it wasted time. Any other time that I am on the computer and not with a kid is obviously wasted time that could be put to better use (it's official, I hate housework!).

4. It's what I first started with. Usually, the first program you use in a given genre will be the one you settle on as the most comfortable (not always, mind you, just usually). So, kde will probably be the one I use most of the time (yes, I am still partial to xfce, especially 4. It's just more of a comfort to use kde some times).

There are several gnome programs out there that are better than their kde counter parts. I wouldn't really know much about that, which is why I read the various viewpoints that are placed on this forum. I also like to experiment, so when one of you mentions a particular program that isn't necessarily kde-centric, I give it a go. I might not adopt it totally, but at least I can turn someone else onto it if it fits their needs/wants.

As for merging the two...nope, wouldn't like that too much. Sure, there are somethings that could definitely be learned by both camps, but that is like saying that all OSes should be merged so that there is only one standard to play with. How fun would that be? Nope. Sure, watching IROC races can be fun, but watching NASCAR is much more entertaining since there are different makes and models of cars on the track.

Cheers

KDE is a very solid desktop and I find that it "just works". KDE plus OpenOffice.org is a complete replacement for Windoze and Office- I am running Win2k and Office 2000 at work, and I can say with absolute certainty that my SuSE + KDE + OpenOffice system is both more stable and more usable for my work. All I lack is an AutoCAD viewer.

I prefer Konqueror to Mozilla. I prefer Kmail. KDE's Kate text editor is more than adaquate for my HTML and Python work (it even has a Python Class Browser now- very sweet!).

I have always prefered a Windows-like desktop (taskbar, start menu). That's why I was an IceWM guy for so long, and why I still promote IceWM as the best choice for low end systems.

But I guess I gotta agree with something LC said a while back, and that is that in this day and age of 1.5 GHz CPUs and 256 megs of RAM (plus 64 meg of Video RAM) it is not really a problem running a large, complex DE, be Gnome or KDE.