Thread: fifo question. Probably.

fifo question. Probably.

Hey everyone.

Here's the setup: I'm running bittorrent on a remote machine and I want to log in every once in a while to check what it's doing and then disconnect. So I'm running btdownloadheadless nohup'ed. That works fine and all. However, the nohup.out file keeps growing rapidly. I didn't think about that when I first started this and on re-connect I found a nohup file of close to 100MB

So what I'm doing now is to run a script that execute echo ''>nohup.out thus resetting the nohup.out file every so many minutes. This works fine but I find it very inelegant. So I googled a bit and thought a named pipe would be the proper solution. So I made the nohup.out file a named pipe with mkfifo nohup.out and thought that would be it. Errrr. Doesn't work. I just can't seem to tail the contents of nohup.out. Seems like nothing gets written to it.

Sure I can use screen and run btdownloadcurses which actually works a lot better. It's just that I've gotten curious why the fifo thing won't work.

Any ideas?

Re:fifo question. Probably.

my vote is for screen.

i don't think you can tail a fifo but you can cat it. try catting it and seeing if you see the contents.

[quote author=gorn link=board=1;threadid=7491;start=0#msg68813 date=1059929157]
    my vote is for screen.

i don't think you can tail a fifo but you can cat it. try catting it and seeing if you see the contents.
    [/quote]

Ok, now I feel really stupid . cat works. Thanks.

edit: Well actually it didn't work. Cause when I quit the cat process with ^C this got send to the btdownloadheadless process and it quit.

However, less -f seems to work.

But yeah, screen is much more functional. I just wanted to know why I couldn't read from the pipe.

i have syslog write log files to a pipe in my home dir, then i cat this pipe to see the logs

dunno why control C quit btdownloadheadless