Thread: Blown head gasket

Blown head gasket

> > > :-[ :-[ :-[ :'( :'( :'(

My car is just outside of Orlando on Interstate-4 west bound and the head gasket is blown. It's a 92 Mercury Cougar in so-so shape.

Is it worth spending the $1k or more (if the block is warped) to fix it or just buy a new/used car on finance?

Mentor

Re:Blown head gasket

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=14;threadid=7559;start=0#msg69283 date=1060967580]
    > > > :-[ :-[ :-[ :'( :'( :'(

My car is just outside of Orlando on Interstate-4 west bound and the head gasket is blown. It's a 92 Mercury Cougar in so-so shape.

Is it worth spending the $1k or more (if the block is warped) to fix it or just buy a new/used car on finance?
    [/quote]

Whats the book value of the car?
    Maybe you'd be better off taking that 1k and what ever you can get for the Cougar and leaseing or buying a new car or a another used car?
    the car is already 11 years old i say let it rest in peace, sell it to a mechanic who can fix it and then turn around and sell it.

[quote author=boblucci link=board=14;threadid=7559;start=0#msg69285 date=1060968932]
    Whats the book value of the car?
    Maybe you'd be better off taking that 1k and what ever you can get for the Cougar and leaseing or buying a new car or a another used car?
    the car is already 11 years old i say let it rest in peace, sell it to a mechanic who can fix it and then turn around and sell it.
    [/quote]

Thats what I guess I will do. It seems to make the most sense. I am so pissed off right now, I called AAA to get it towed and it will cost me 100$ to get it home ... and even with that the guy didn't show up. When I got home there was a message saying he was late. I waited 1 hour and 15 minutes and he never showed up. >

Mentor

We thought we'd blown the head gasket on our van, but turned out the head was cracked. For about $250NZ we got all the parts we needed to fix it, and because we've done all the labour ourselves thats the only cost. I'd reccommend getting a few prices for parts etc then make your decision

My wife's car had a cracked exhaust manifold and a burnt valve. You dont want to know how much that cost. If that car wasnt paid off, I would have been seriously pissed.

I ended up trading it in for 400$ towards a new Chevy Caviler ZX something or another. I'm happy with the new car. Great stereo, nice interior, pretty tires, dark-cherry red, CD/XM all for 13,500$. I figured if I spend the 2k (seemed to be the average quote) to fix the cougar something else would break six months from then because of all the driving I do.

BTW if you ever break down in the Orlando/Baseball City/Lakeland/Kissimee area call cTa to tow you. They were extremely nice and helpful. In the end I went up 4 times to where my car was on the interstate (about 40 minutes from where I live) and none of the tow truck drivers ever showed up until cTa.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=14;threadid=7559;start=0#msg69319 date=1061085740]
    I ended up trading it in for 400$ towards a new Chevy Caviler ZX something or another. I'm happy with the new car. Great stereo, nice interior, pretty tires, dark-cherry red, CD/XM all for 13,500$. I figured if I spend the 2k (seemed to be the average quote) to fix the cougar something else would break six months from then because of all the driving I do.
    [/quote]

Sweet. I used to have the Pontiac varient of the Cavilier. I miss that car (for some reason my 4wd Ford Aerostar just isn't the same. I must learn to keep passion under control).

Two months after I replaced the transfer case in my '84 chevy pickup, I have to rebuild the heads due to a bad lifter.
    Smart choice just trading the car in Ashcrow.