Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Software Better Than Commercial Software

Free Software Better Than Commercial Software

It never ceases to amaze me how some free software that comes with most Linux distributions is better than the commercial stuff you buy for WinBlows.

For example, I always have problems with Roxio's weird interface for their CD burner software and quite often it doesn't work for some reason. Flip over to Linux and run Gcombust (or even cdrecord from the CLI), and et voila!

Makes you wonder what the developers who work at the commercial software company's actually know... ???

Re:Free Software Better Than Commercial Software

i know, cd-writing tools especially in the cd burning area. the crap i have for work is icky.

Actually, I've only had bad luck with Roxio CD Burner software. Nero and Blindwrite seem to work very well - that's if M$ Windoze doesn't screw up anything in the process.

I dunno...cd burning seems weak all around. Yes, cdrecord works time and time again from the CLI, but sit any non-geek down in front of it and I'm sure they'd have a few harsh words of their own to contribute. XCDRoast is good, but its interface is pretty crappy. Very non-intuitive, and not very powerful (if I want to delete a temporary image I have to manually do it...there's no option to do it from the interface). It's been years since I've tried GCombust so I can't really comment.

There are a few bright areas though. k3b is a fantastic app for KDE, unparalleled except perhaps by Nero. Coming extremely soon we'll have Coaster for Gnome. I'm excited! Are you excited?

i remember back when i had my 4x burner.... under windows it'd work... sometimes.... and only if i didn't do anything to the box while it was burning. then i got linux and burned with XCDRoast, eventually i learned to do it just from the cli. soon it was just habit to burn a cd and leave it going (4x takes quite a bit of time) and not even realize it was burning. compared to windows where it'd crash if i even thought about moving the mouse...

cdrwin for cdrand stomp for dvdr
    the only burning tool I use in windows
    they are the only good burning software for windows.

I don't think I've been successfull at burning one cd in windows. Although I've had about 10 bad cd. That using Roxy wich seems pretty simple.

gtoaster is pretty good. That's what I mostly use.

[quote author=gorn link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69279 date=1060966113]
    i remember back when i had my 4x burner....
    [/quote]

4x, wow. That's slow. Although, I myself only have a 12x10x32x. I don't do THAT much burning to have a 48x or whatever they're up to now. 12x takes about 10 minutes to burn a full disk image, which is A-OK with me.

Mentor

4x burner, ha! I remember using a 4x CD-ROM connected to the sound card ...

[quote author=gorn link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69279 date=1060966113]
    compared to windows where it'd crash if i even thought about moving the mouse...
    [/quote]

That's the other bad thing about burning CDs in Windoze. It sucks up a lot of resources and you might as well forget about doing anything with the PC until it's finished turning another CD into a coaster.

Under Linux (or FreeBSD), you can burn and play, surf, or whatever at the same time and wind up with a good recording.