Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Free Software Better Than Commercial Software

Re:Free Software Better Than Commercial Software

[quote author=Coral Sea link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69317 date=1061078567]

I'm not sure if it's official, but I thought Gcombust was Gnome's interface for toasting CDs. I use Gcombust when not using the CLI and I like it. But, you might not agree...
    [/quote]

GCombust was the old Gnome 1.x interface for burning CDs. I recall trying it out, and finding it to be quite usable but somewhat cluttered. The new one (coaster) will be based on libcdburn rather than calling cdrecord to make cd's (AFAIK). I believe it also aims to be compatible with Gnome's HIG, and will be written in GTK2. With a release just around the corner I'm really starting to want it.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69349 date=1061142646]
    [quote author=Coral Sea link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69317 date=1061078567]

I'm not sure if it's official, but I thought Gcombust was Gnome's interface for toasting CDs. I use Gcombust when not using the CLI and I like it. But, you might not agree...
    [/quote]

GCombust was the old Gnome 1.x interface for burning CDs. I recall trying it out, and finding it to be quite usable but somewhat cluttered. The new one (coaster) will be based on libcdburn rather than calling cdrecord to make cd's (AFAIK). I believe it also aims to be compatible with Gnome's HIG, and will be written in GTK2. With a release just around the corner I'm really starting to want it.
    [/quote]

Sounds neat...will have to try it when it comes out...

BTW, I agree that Gcombust is a bit cluttered because it puts most everything in front of you instead of in drop down menus, which it uses too. On that basis, I suppose it could be argued that the interface is inconsistent.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69278 date=1060964954]
    There are a few bright areas though. k3b is a fantastic app for KDE,
    [/quote]
    After giving k3b another try, I have to admit that I like it, maybe even more than gcombust...

Also, after using Nero Express under Windows XP, I can say that it is way more stable and effective than Roxio's CD burner.