Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Software Better Than Commercial Software

Re:Free Software Better Than Commercial Software

[quote author=cloverm link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69288 date=1060971567]
    4x burner, ha! I remember using a 4x CD-ROM connected to the sound card ...
    [/quote]

that is what i loaded up my very 1st linux CD with.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=pbharris link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69292 date=1060980371]
    [quote author=cloverm link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69288 date=1060971567]
    4x burner, ha! I remember using a 4x CD-ROM connected to the sound card ...
    [/quote]

that is what i loaded up my very 1st linux CD with.
    [/quote]

Same here!

[me=Lovechild]shamefully admits that his smallest machine still has the cdrom connected via a control on his soundcard..[/me]

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69278 date=1060964954]
    There are a few bright areas though. k3b is a fantastic app for KDE, unparalleled except perhaps by Nero.
    [/quote]
    Thought I'd give K3B a try. The interface reminds me of Roxio. And, it's a bit flakey too. So, I can't agree that it's fantastic, although maybe it's a smidgen better than Roxio.

[quote author=Coral Sea link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69315 date=1061074139]
    [quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69278 date=1060964954]
    There are a few bright areas though. k3b is a fantastic app for KDE, unparalleled except perhaps by Nero.
    [/quote]
    Thought I'd give K3B a try. The interface reminds me of Roxio. And, it's a bit flakey too. So, I can't agree that it's fantastic, although maybe it's a smidgen better than Roxio.
    [/quote]

Well everyone has their own results. It worked well for me in the past when I was angry at Gnome for not having any burning software. I'm really looking forward to trying out Coaster. However, above all others I'd have to say that Nero's burning program has never given me so much as a hitch. One of the few quality pieces of non-free software out there.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69316 date=1061074813]
    [quote author=Coral Sea link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69315 date=1061074139]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Well everyone has their own results. It worked well for me in the past when I was angry at Gnome for not having any burning software. I'm really looking forward to trying out Coaster. However, above all others I'd have to say that Nero's burning program has never given me so much as a hitch. One of the few quality pieces of non-free software out there.
    [/quote]

I'm not sure if it's official, but I thought Gcombust was Gnome's interface for toasting CDs. I use Gcombust when not using the CLI and I like it. But, you might not agree...

Kind Mastermind

You wanna know something? It just dawned on me. Win XP has built-in burning software. Produced by Roxio. One of the worst pos out there. Roxio has messed my stuff up too many times. I seriously hate Roxio (we have to use it at work...yuck!). I'm glad I have real alternatives to overpriced crapware. *I feel soooo much better now, thanks guys.

Cheers

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69324 date=1061088547]
    You wanna know something? It just dawned on me. Win XP has built-in burning software. Produced by Roxio. One of the worst pos out there. Roxio has messed my stuff up too many times. I seriously hate Roxio (we have to use it at work...yuck!). I'm glad I have real alternatives to overpriced crapware. *I feel soooo much better now, thanks guys.

Cheers
    [/quote]

Yah, I know. M$ took a bad product and made it way worse...

Free Software is very good. OpenOffice has really reached a level where it competes very well with M$ Office- as I have said before, using both, I find OpenOffice to have the better word processor.

However, if you look at non-M$ software, like Adobe's products on the Mac, or Dreamweaver (again, on the Mac) then you have to be careful. Gimp is great, and more than adaqute for most folks, but it is not able to replace Photoshop for print production work. Plus, Linux has nothing to replace Quark for DTP work.

In my case, however, that's not an issue. For others it is.

[quote author=cga link=board=2;threadid=7555;start=0#msg69336 date=1061130113]
    However, if you look at non-M$ software, like Adobe's products on the Mac, or Dreamweaver (again, on the Mac) then you have to be careful. Gimp is great, and more than adaqute for most folks, but it is not able to replace Photoshop for print production work. Plus, Linux has nothing to replace Quark for DTP work.
    [/quote]

I agree, there are some commerial software that do not have an equal in the GPL world. But it is amazing, though, that some commerical software are not as good as their GPL equivalents. And, of course, Linux fans would point to operating systems as the best example of that.