Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying hardware

buying hardware

two things.

1. Where do you buy your hardware?
    ive got most of mine from http://www.newegg.com
    but http://www.svcompucycle.com or something like that was recommended by a friend.

2. what brand of MOBO do you guys like im looking into Epox, MSI, and Asus. know any good models of those around $100?

Re:buying hardware

www.googlegear.com - newegg uses MS IIS for a secure webserver - there fore i think it is insecure.

i like tyan mainboards, they are high quality, the support is great and reasonable priced. plus linux.org lists them as a supportor.

http://robotnik.com
    http://tigerdirect.ca
    are where I get stuff, but I prefer Robotnik because it's closer to me..
    I like Asus motherboards for that price range, but I want a DFI NF II Ultra board...

robotnik has an *ahem* interesting banner on their american site:

i just ordered some stuff from www.axiontech.com and the prices where good and the reviews were good, but i haven't gotten it yet so i can't really judge.

and pricewatch/pricegrabber are always good places to look for cheap stuff

bigger hardware, ahh.. penis envy..

Mentor

tiger direct is where i get 90% of my hardware.

I have an albarton mobo, i dont recomend it!!!

Check out http://www.tcwo.com. If you live near Tampa you can go pick up the stuff and avoid the shipping if you want. They are pretty cool about that.

Good Guru

[quote author=pbharris link=board=14;threadid=7551;start=0#msg69241 date=1060880011]
    i like tyan mainboards, they are high quality, the support is great.
    [/quote]
    Ditto about their support. I bought dual Xeon board off of the Net from Ebay ( don't do it ) and this guy shipped it without CPU brackets. If it was normal PII or PIII should have no problem but it was Xeons so no shops carry them (just brackets; many have only MBs with brackets ). I sent mail to Tyan webmaster and got contact with sale guys. He went his way over and offered one CPU bracket ( and that's only what he could find since single bracket version is different from dual bracket version ) and said he will ship them for FREE. Although I declined his offer ( since it was no use for me ) I was so impress with the way they treat their customers ( even though I didn't buy it from authorized dealers or Tyan direct ). Great company with good support service. Cheers!

Good Guru

I must say that if you have the deniros to pony up for a Tyan, ASUS, or an Intel -- its worth it. But for poor ass bastards like me, MSI has treated me extremely well. Two boards, not one issue. My buddy has one too, and he hasnt had any issues that I know of (since I would end up repairing them ;D )

Thats my 2 Ducats.

I must say that if you have the deniros to pony up for a Tyan, ASUS, or an Intel -- its worth it. But for poor ass bastards like me, MSI has treated me extremely well. Two boards, not one issue. My buddy has one too, and he hasnt had any issues that I know of (since I would end up repairing them
    Yepyep. Good stuff. I prefer Iwill motherboards, but that's just because they have built a good reputation with me, and the price is very cheap considering all the extras they come with. As for ASUS, I took the cash to buy one ($170!!!! ) and I was very dissappointed. If I didn't think my Wife would bitch about crippling her computer, I would take it out back and unload an entire clip on that POS!

As for Axiontech, I love that place! If it doesn't have what I need, I won't order it. Of course they always have what I need. Not to mention they are close to me, and at least a 1 year warrenty on everything!