Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

My impression after about a week
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My impression after about a week

Good Guru

My impression after about a week

Slack 9 is seriously broken.

KDE and GNOME look awful.

The usability out of the box is extremely limited.

PPD is broke. So broke that to type this now, I am in knoppix.

That is only after I got LILO to take... which was a while. I ended up using a lilo from RedHat 9.

What the hell happened to the great one? I figured I would rough it out, but Jesus! This is not what I meant. I figured I would whore myself out right about now, and couldnt resist the urge to become a slacker again. I guess its about time to "just do it" and install Debian ;D That has never graced its presence on any hard drive I have owned. Either that or FreeBSD 4.8 (So I can use nVIDIA drivers ;D )

Re:My impression after about a week

You are alive?

I think you just got used to RH doing everything for you. :P

Good Guru

Alive, yes. For now.

as for automation, yes it was nice. But I got everything working just fine in FreeBSD and that required some work. This is retarded. ppd should not need me to pray for 20 minutes at the CLI to get it to work each time doing a

route del default
    route add default gw some.ip.add.ress

to finish the touches.

Something is wrong.

Strange...that's really unlike Slack. It's usually pretty nice.

Anyway man, I'd highly recommend you give Debian a shot. I love gentoo, but the only other distro it battles for top spot is debian.

Mentor

That sounds crazy. I admit that KDE and Gnome are ugly by default, but everything worked for me right out of the box. I find it great, all my hardware was detected right away, and everything worked. The only thing I had to do was install the nvidia graphics drivers, and the nforce net driver. I think I remember there being a prob with lilo as well, but I just made a standard lilo config file.
    CP

Havent had any problems with FreeBSD 5.1, wouldnt use it on a production server, but its ok to finagle at home with it.

Slack 9 needed a bit of setup to get Apache and MySQL - And yes, KDE and GNOME _are_ ugly out of the box, but I don't mind, I like the satisfaction of making KDE look pretty by myself..

[quote author=Schotty link=board=7;threadid=7544;start=0#msg69158 date=1060710640]
    Either that or FreeBSD 4.8 (So I can use nVIDIA drivers ;D )
    [/quote]
    If you want something that works but feels a little bit like Slack, go with FreeBSD.

Mentor

Slack works perfectly fine for me thank you very much. Pfft, slack not working, its all lies, he's just doing more RH whoring, don't believe his lies people, slack is great, don't listen...
    [me=CP]gets dragged of by RH security[/me]
    :P