Thread: Computer Businesses

Computer Businesses

Does anyone run one here? Like build pcs, or sell hardware, and do fixes/upgrades and such. If you do I have a couple questions. I love building computers, I could seriously build them all day long. And the opportunity that I can make money off of this just adds more excitement. The thing is I know nothing of business, or promoting or anything to get my feet remotely off the ground to make somewhat of a business off pc making. Does anyone have tips as to how you can do this or anything, is a business like that bringing in enough dough to financially support yourself,,... and well?

Re:Computer Businesses

Check the recent (yesterday/day before that) articles on Slashdot about doing freelance tech support.

I manage to get 10 or 15 hours a month doing that, and at $50/hr, its a bargain for the client and a decent deal for me.

Mentor

It's been 3 or 4 years since I gave up on my computer business, but it is still coming back to haunt me. I had to work on my sister-in-law's Win'98 computer for two nights, for free of course. I can't go to a family gathering without a family member bugging me with their stupid computer problems.
    Trust me, people (customers, friends, family) will always bug you. And way too often it's not really a computer problem that you have to fix, but their ignorance.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

[quote author=cloverm link=board=14;threadid=7513;start=0#msg68982 date=1060262452] And way too often it's not really a computer problem that you have to fix, but their ignorance.
    [/quote]

That problem is called an ID Ten T ;D

Building computer and repairing them as a business is a dime-a-dozen. I tried to introduce the "Future Upgradable PC" to my town, but you know what, people are willing to buy a whole new computer every year rather than doing that. Even some people are fed up with their PC having problems since the people at Best Buy don't even know what they are doing, and buy a new one then. Take advantage of this, buy their "broken" PC, fix it for about $25, resell it, and CHA-CHING, cash in.

In all the years of running a repair business, I can say a very small portion of my work was really repair. Some was Linux consultation, setting up networks, and securing systems. For such things you can get some good money from people who trust your knowledge.

All I can say is, "Thank you Best Buy! You've made everybody come to my door, since your customer service sucks so bad." ;D

i really am not into the whole fixing thing, because im not all knowledgable about every problem people have with their pcs, but i would really try to focus the business on building and selling computers,

[quote author=burntash link=board=14;threadid=7513;start=0#msg69004 date=1060314781]
    i really am not into the whole fixing thing, because im not all knowledgable about every problem people have with their pcs, but i would really try to focus the business on building and selling computers,
    [/quote]

Yeah, but support and fixing problems is part of the game. If you sell someone a computer, you'll have to provide support and service to your customers. Customer service is probably the most important part of succeed in business.