I need a free site search CGI script (NOT remotely hosted). After googling a bit I found a great amount of different scripts but can't really decide what would be the best. It would be too time consuming to download, customize and test all the scripts that look promising... If you know of a certain good script, I'll be all ears (or eyes in this case).
I'd like to hear your recommendations of a script that:
1. Is free. I already mentioned this.
2. Indexes the pages in advance. Otherwise searching would be really slow.
3. Has a customizable template for the search results. You know, I just want the results page to blend nicely with the rest of the site.
4. Ranks the resulting pages according to how closely they match the query. I've seen scripts that just display the results in random order, and it's a bit annoying.
5. Has the ability to exclude certain directories from the search index. This would be nice, but not necessary.